Author Topic: tank mount on frame tube  (Read 1548 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
tank mount on frame tube
« on: 06.05. 2009 17:45 »
  guys,

The weld on bracket for mounting the tank was cut and ground off. What would be the best way to go about working one in? I have thought about mocking this mount up using an easy to obtain bolt set-up, but I see there a threaded (inner and outer) nipple that fits down into the frame bracket itself.

How important is this adjustable nipple, must you have it?

Has anyone else had to deal with this, and if so how did you pull it off?

I think besides this bracket, I now have all the pieces for the frame. Once I get them welded on, everything sand blasted and painted I will post a few pics.

OH YEAH! I have a toolbox, the lid is pretty round instead of flat compared to the ones I see on most of the bikes in this year bracket (mines a 58). I think I have the wrong box, what years had the more bulbous lids? If its kind of a hard thing to find, I could trade for a flat lid box with someone who needs the rounded out lid type.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: tank mount on frame tube
« Reply #1 on: 06.05. 2009 18:29 »
I bought the threaded bit from C&D autos some time ago ( not sure if it's ment to be adjustable I just screwed it right in ) would be worth giving them a call. they may even have the saddle bit.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #2 on: 06.05. 2009 18:52 »
Hi    for the toolbox, Roy Bacon says "the side was more domed for 1958 onwards"
     Richie  *smiley4*
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.05. 2009 08:03 »
 Thanks guys,

I dropped a mail to C@D to see what they may have.

Thanks Richie! Finally something turns in my favor- I have the right tool box! *eek* I dont even know how to react to that type of news..... *ex* *smile*

Lee

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 07.05. 2009 18:40 »
don't get too excited, that's always my motto   *smil*

I have a bolt into what looks like a nut on a plate, all welded onto the backbone.  I just put my tank back on, I should have taken a pic.  I also found something from wassell on ebay that I bought for the super rocket, it's basically a piece of tube cut to just be a round flange, with a threaded rod welded to it.  two nuts and two pieces of rubber make what should be a compression fit in the tank hole, and I suppose you just strap the flange on with two pipe clamps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190297965472&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1052

\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.05. 2009 05:53 »
 Snowbeard,

Thanks, that gives me the thoughts this is no big deal. I have not seen an a10 frame up close that was not hacked. The way this looks in the small pic in the manual made it look like a big deal.

You are right, no need to panic on this one! *smile*

Lee