Author Topic: RGS rear wheel bearing  (Read 491 times)

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
RGS rear wheel bearing
« on: 17.04. 2016 11:12 »
Hi, is there an easy way to get the bearing retaining circlip out from gold star rear wheel brake drum /sprocket...been using a screwdriver on the step in the circlip to prise it out but its not moving...thanks

Howard
Howard

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: RGS rear wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: 17.04. 2016 13:21 »
I don’t think that there is an easy way to remove that circlip. The BSA service sheet is not very helpful either, it merely says “The circlip can be removed with a screw driver.” When I did mine I used two screw drivers. One to  actually get it started, and the other to lever it outwards and upwards. It took a few attempts and it was very fiddly to do. A lot of patience and determination is required. By the way if you use a sealed bearing then you can omit the dished washer.
John

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 21.04. 2016 13:26 »
Hi John, thanks for the info, used the 2 screwdrivers and the circlip is now out. Made up a puller with a long bolt / socket and steel plate then removed the duff LS 5 Hoffman bearing....would have thought it should have been a roller bearing, will have to check this one out from the parts list and see if I can get a replacement with double shields as you suggested...thanks again for your help.

Howard
Howard

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 21.04. 2016 17:18 »
Howard you will have no problem finding a sealed bearing. They are widely available from many sources on the internet. I got mine from Lyford Classics but I would think that C&D Autos and many other places will have them. Glad it all worked out OK for you. One other thing. Do not drive the bearing into the hub with a hammer and socket. Take it to a local garage or engineering shop and get it preesed in.
John

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.04. 2016 23:24 »
RLS7-2RS is one of the codes.

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 28.04. 2016 15:37 »
Hi John and Trev.....thanks for the info i'm going the sealed bearing route.  Just took my sprocket in for stove enamelling....should be back for next Friday then getting the wheel together and in the frame. Rear mudguard to be drilled then chromed. ...fingers crossed then for the mot lol

All tge best

Howard
Howard