Author Topic: Easycap  (Read 572 times)

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Easycap
« on: 09.05. 2016 04:09 »
My 63 Super Rocket had the hot start problem so a couple of weeks ago I left the mag with a club mate who does mag rebuilds. We decided to try an Easycap, so he fitted that for me plus fitted some NOS points, then gave things a good once over.
The hot start problem is no more and the bike also runs better. It started and ran smoothly before but I felt it lacked power. After reading a whole book of period road tests which claimed "thundering acceleration" for the Super Rocket, I was convinced my bike was lacking.

There is a steep local test hill known as Dyno hill and I use it for tuning.
When this SuperRocket first arrived, 60 at bottom in third then full throttle on the grade yielded 60 going over the top- zero acceleration on the hill. Changing the 28 mm Concentric to a 30 mm Concentric and opening up the constricting 1" dia Carb insulating spacer to  30 mm increased  over the top  speed to 65 MPH after some jetting changes.
Replacing the 30 mm Concentric with a properly jetted, freshly sleeved 1 5/32" Monobloc brought 67 over the top.

Fixing the mag with the Easycap brought the speed up again, now it goes over the top at 70 MPH, not far behind the Norton 650SS.

As compared to the starting point , it feels like a proper Super Rocket now.

Glen

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Easycap
« Reply #1 on: 09.05. 2016 07:57 »
Pleased you're pleased Glen and thanks for saying so.
Obviously a simple condenser swap isn't going to make a bike go faster than it could anyway, but it certainly helps to have the sparks under control. New points will probably have helped too - and maybe you got the timing more 'spot-on' on reassembly?
Bill

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Re: Easycap
« Reply #2 on: 09.05. 2016 13:52 »
The difference could be ignition timing or it could be due to a  hotter spark, or a combination of the two. With the old capacitor the bike would cold start OK but as soon as some heat got into the mag I could hear a change in the engine. The idle would become erratic and if it died , that was it, no restart until cool again. I don't think a weak erratic spark makes for full power.
I agree, the properly functioning condensor won't make it a hotrod, but it seems a  faulty condensor can cut performance below normal.

Glen