Author Topic: Smoking on start up.  (Read 2380 times)

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
Re: Smoking on start up.
« Reply #30 on: 22.05. 2016 02:32 »
if you flood the carb with the tickler your engine will smoke a little on start up and if its set too rich or the float needle is causing flooding then it will be worse still. if the rings or bores are gone surely you will be using a lot of oil dean?
i prefer a monograde in the bsa but as i fit a spin on paper filter it has to be a multigrade oil.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 22.05. 2016 10:05 »
i prefer a monograde in the bsa but as i fit a spin on paper filter it has to be a multigrade oil.
Will you explain that statement please.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 22.05. 2016 12:56 »
hi, i thought it was well known that multigrade carries detergent elements that retain debris and transfer it to the filter whereas monogrades do not as standard. also mutigrades  flow easier with the cartridge filter on cold days and start up.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 22.05. 2016 14:42 »
hi, i thought it was well known that multigrade carries detergent elements that retain debris and transfer it to the filter whereas monogrades do not as standard. also mutigrades  flow easier with the cartridge filter on cold days and start up.
You had me worrying because I'm using monograde and have a car type filter. I cleaned the sludge trap when I restored the bike. I feel that the filter is a 'belt and braces' device that will not do any harm.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 22.05. 2016 19:51 »
if you flood the carb with the tickler your engine will smoke a little on start up and if its set too rich or the float needle is causing flooding then it will be worse still. if the rings or bores are gone surely you will be using a lot of oil dean?

The Mikuni doesn't have a tickler.
If you flood the carb the smoke will be black not blue.
New pistons and rings and bore hone less than 1000 miles ago.
Yes, I went over to 20/50 on fitting and spn on filter.

She's runnng fine so I'll leave well alone 'til after the International and MGP.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.