Author Topic: Timing idler pinion noise  (Read 2610 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Timing idler pinion noise
« Reply #15 on: 13.05. 2016 09:55 »
a little point here.
I assume most are talking about a toothed belt, these do not need to be drum tight to drive.
There are however some belt kits with a V belt, they do have to be a bit tighter than the toothed variety, I had one of these and gave it away, the new owner seems to get on alright with it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #16 on: 14.05. 2016 14:09 »
Some of the timing type belts are 10 mm. The Dynamo Regulator Belt is 15 mm uniquely.
The slack with 1/2 turn on our wide belt would be huge, and it would probably touch the casing.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 18.05. 2016 19:17 »
Well today I slackened the belt until it had 1/2inch up and down play took the bike for a run and the noise is still there, so it is not belt tension that is causing the noise. The next thing I am going to try is removing the belt then put the case on with just a few bolts and start it up and see what happens with a cold engine you can just hear it but it gets a lot louder when the engine is hot. The noise is definitely coming from the idler pinion area nowhere else.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 19.05. 2016 11:12 »

Bob, when I put mine back together with the Belt conversion, I had a hassle with the idler pulley rubbing on the bottom of the intermediate (inner?) casing. Maybe yours is similar but not until it gets hot as per previous suggestions of expansion. Maybe pop the big pulley and look for signs?

For the record, the instructions in my SRM kit state "the belt must be easily twisted through 90ยบ". I think it also works out  about 1/2" slack midstroke.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 19.05. 2016 12:45 »
I removed the belt drive belt and idler pulley put the case back on started the bike and the noise is still there, so that eliminates any problem with the belt drive. Took the inner case off removed the idler pinion and inspected it found 2 teeth marked as photos also some previous owner has ground  the end of the  shaft that goes into the crankcase for what reason I do not know only maybe 1/32" ground off the end. I hesitate to say this is the problem but can find nothing else.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #20 on: 19.05. 2016 14:27 »
G'day Bob.
Don't we luv previous owners *????*
I'd say the grinding was needed to rectify a burr/mushroom caused by "not so" gentle persuasion to get the pinion off the shaft. It should be a light press fit centered between the two grooves on the shaft. Slight miss-alignment of the dynamo pulley's can be rectified by pressing the pinion one way or the other on the shaft. The damage to the teeth would have been caused by the use of a hard wedge between the pinions to lock the pinions to remove the cam or crank nuts. Look for same on the cam or crank pinions. This may give you noise, the shaft won't.
There's probably heaps of them out there, here's one on fleabay  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BSA-A7-A10-Idler-cam-pinion-gear-great-condition-B967-/331299548153?hash=item4d22fdebf9:g:crUAAOSwnDZT-TP5
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 19.05. 2016 15:45 »
Thanks for that info Muskrat I did check the cam and crank pinions but can find no damage to either so have put it all back together now and will look out for pinion on ebay or maybe at an autojumble.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 28.07. 2016 01:36 »
I've just received a SRM belt drive (slipped in while brexit was hammering the pound) and am a bit surprised by the instructions:
"then pack the cavity with grease to help lube belt and keep it cool. This is important!"
are people running their belts dry?
It seems immoral to chuck a handful of ugly axle grease onto such a pretty thing.
cheers

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 28.07. 2016 09:52 »
It seems immoral to chuck a handful of ugly axle grease onto such a pretty thing.

depends on the stuff the belt is made of, my new car's timing belt runs in oil, got a life of 150,000 miles,  provided the belt can grip then any lube will keep it cooler
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 28.07. 2016 11:18 »

It's a bit of a diversion from the original post, but I'll add on anyway; I bought a SRM conversion, but the belt only lasted just over 6K miles. I thought I'd tensioned it as per instructions but maybe I had it too tight and it shredded bits of steel fibres, and finally stretched, so as per previous posts^^^^, I've backed off the new one a bit. It's only done ~2.5K miles since then, but seems ok. I haven't run either in grease or oil or anything- totally dry.

Original belt; Synchroflex AT5/420 x 10mm  Gen 111 (steel reinforced)
 Replacement; Optibelt     AT5/420 x 10mm   (Polyurethane)- current   
 I've last week bought a new spare same as current one (except 'made in Ireland' *eek*), so see how it goes.

I bought the last two from the local bearing supply shop, they have to get them in and not as cheap as I'd like, but waddafarque, I have a spare-*dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia