Author Topic: New Member  (Read 811 times)

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« on: 13.05. 2016 22:10 »
Hello all!
Been messing with  hotrods and muscle cars since early teen years.  About a year ago I decided try my hand at a bike. I knew where a basket case 1957 BSA A10 Roadrocket was sitting in an attic literally.  I tried to buy it several times and finally talked the owner into selling it to me for $900.  After 6 months of on and off work on it between other car projects I'm close to trying to start it and make sure it runs before tear down and paint.  I'ts been a blast so far building it.  I do have alot of spare parts left over that are originals! I do love the restorations on here as much as what I'm doing, I just wanted a bobber so that's the direction I took .....hopefully it doesn't offend to many members. Hobbies and interests are my family, hotrods and now bikes!  Especially the British bikes.     
Chad Daniels
Wichita, KS

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 13.05. 2016 22:12 »
Forgot the pics so here they are.

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 13.05. 2016 22:14 »
57 A10 Roadrocket

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.05. 2016 22:51 »
 *welcome*

Wow! Now that's a bit different to what we are used to. Not my thing but looks well engineered. *wink2*

If you haven't done it please clean the crankshaft sludge trap before you run the beastie.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 13.05. 2016 23:15 »
Did it , pulled sludge screen and cleaned . Was surprisingly clean . Checked front oil pressure bypass too .  As soon as my mag points cover and wire show I'm gonna light the fuse !

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.05. 2016 00:27 »
Chad,

I like it. At first I thought you were going for a rat bike because the photo was dark, but after lightening the exposure it seems more the clean hot rod.

Unfortunately, what Greybeard was talking about is not the sump plate with a screen on the underside of the crankcase. The sludge trap runs through the crankshaft through both crank pins. Therefore, it can only be inspected and cleaned with crankcases split. There is another member with a similar situation right now, that is, just wants to get his bike running so he can ride it a bit and "test it" before tear down. This has the potential to be a bad idea if the bike has set for many years. The purpose of the sludge trap is to collect smaller-than-screen-mesh particles safely inside the crankshaft rather than circulating them. It uses centrifugal force to do this. There is no way to know without failing the bike if dried-out sludge will flake off and block the oilways to the rod bearings. I, for one, believe that is what caused me to spin a rod bearing some years ago, having not known to clean the sludge trap when I rebuilt after 24 years of the bike sitting around.

If you absolutely plan to strip it down right away, it doesn't really matter if runs right now. It will certainly run when you put it back together, and you might save yourself a much more costly fix. On the other hand, if you must get to riding before the strip down, keep it close to home for while until you are comfortable that anything that could come loose comes loose. Being just outside Chicago I am right there with you regarding getting on the road as soon as crappy weather lets up. Stay away from tornados (hope none have done damage to you or yours).

Richard L.

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 14.05. 2016 01:38 »
That's some good info !  Appreciate it .  I may just start it for a few minutes then take it apart while I'm painting and foo doing it .  Rather be safe then sorry. 

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 14.05. 2016 10:05 »
so that's the direction I took .....hopefully it doesn't offend to many members
No problem. Some want original, some want customized, some like new chrome, some like vintage rust.

Welcome aboard, hoping the forum will be of help in getting a well running bike. & looks like you'll have the best braking of all the forum's bikes.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 14.05. 2016 13:50 »
Looking good! I'm guessing that's a 5.00x16 rear tire. Wondering if that will present a challenge getting the drive chain sprockets aligned?
Disk brake springer looks good.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.05. 2016 13:59 »
Looking good! I'm guessing that's a 5.00x16 rear tire. Wondering if that will present a challenge getting the drive chain sprockets aligned?
That had not occurred to me. Would a layshaft with an outrigger sprocket be the way to do it?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 14.05. 2016 15:29 »
I did have to have a sprocket made to fit the aftermarket hub but it lines up perfect with long straight edge .  I had an offset sprocket but it wasn't even close