Author Topic: Fit non standard forks  (Read 888 times)

Offline tiggy

• Moving Up
Fit non standard forks
« on: 15.05. 2016 15:22 »
I am keeping my standard bike but would also like a project. Has anyone fitted non standard forks and if so can you pass on any advice to make the job easier, such as is it better to change the whole front end and any make that will fit without major fettling.
Thanks
Rob

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
Re: Fit non standard forks
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2016 21:08 »
my advise when machine bearing cup spacers to fit inside the a10 frame is to machine the inside bottom wider than the stepped sleeve so you can knock them out of the frame easier. also watch the length of the forks you might like as the could be 2-3 inches longer and wont look right when finished.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2016 10:28 »

Tiggy, I found on eBay a NOS Conical front end (less hub/wheel) complete with T/R bearings.

All I had to do to fit this to my Plunger frame was have fabricated some sleeves to accommodate the Tapered Roller bearings.

After that it fitted straight in, may sit a bit higher than stock, but I'm real happy with it.

I had photos, but they've gone to the universe at this stage *conf*. Maybe I have drawings somewhere. What frame are you planning to use?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2016 11:06 »
After that it fitted straight in, may sit a bit higher than stock, but I'm real happy with it.
I'd like to see some decent pictures of your BSA concoction  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline tiggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2016 11:31 »
Thanks for the replies. The frame I am using is a standard A10 swinging arm. Sorry not as far as a concoction yet, still in the planning stage but I have seen some very well built attractive non-standard bikes. The standard bike I finished, (1958 A10), had as many original period parts as I could get my hands on but as you will all know decent condition original parts are very hard to find and getting prohibitively expensive. My experience with pattern parts is they have been significantly inferior and in some cases just junk. My aim is to try and build a useable bike without a re-mortgage. To try and build a standard bike buying every nut, bolt and washer etc. is way out of my price bracket hence the attempt at a special. Fingers crossed it doesn't end in tears or bankruptcy!

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2016 19:41 »
a mate has a mint super rocket with 750 suzuki kettle front and rear wheels with the large polished alloy twin leading shoe drums on alloy rims looks mint and stops

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 16.05. 2016 21:00 »
 nearly bought a super rocket a while back with 2007 kawasaki xzr front forks twin discs mag wheels  renthal bars frame widened  at rear to take kawasaki swinging arm and wheel with central yamaha r1 damper unit fantastic looking bike with the old and new look finished in black and gold with high level exhaust

Offline taroha10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1961 super rocket. 1950 m20.
« Reply #7 on: 31.05. 2016 11:00 »
I fitted a T140 disc front end on a 1960 flash some years ago. At the time I bought a  taper roller bearing conversion  ( from SRM I think) which fitted straight in. I seem to remember it was the last set they had though. It was a superb ride and stopped really well .I think the front sat a little higher but I used to ride it guite hard and it was always fine. The only snag was my lock stops which I have to admit to not being the best engineering  job ever done . Good luck with whatever you do. Cheers. Mark.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.06. 2016 22:56 »
my advise when machine bearing cup spacers to fit inside the a10 frame is to machine the inside bottom wider than the stepped sleeve so you can knock them out of the frame easier. also watch the length of the forks you might like as the could be 2-3 inches longer and wont look right when finished.

2-3 inches? Might as well shoot for the moon, 9 inches over, rake the neck, smooth the frame with 30 pounds of bondo and paint the whole mess purple. Add a king/queen seat, a 5 foot long twisted sissy bar, and a peanut gas tank. Then you have something....from 1971.  *ex*  *lol*
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.