Author Topic: Got me a rattle gun  (Read 766 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Got me a rattle gun
« on: 17.05. 2016 11:06 »
I used rattle guns all the time when I was a mechanic so I know how useful they are, but they have always been a bit too expensive for home use. Yesterday I went into our local ALDI store. For those who want to know about ALDI you can read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi. The thing about ALDI and LIDL is, you go in for groceries and come out with some gadget that you never thought you'd buy. I once came home with a microscope and a telescope! Anyway ALDI had a rattle gun on reduction from the already cheap 19.99GBP to 12.99GBP  *smile*.
I've also got me one of those cush drive tools http://goo.gl/ytEfq8 so next time I have to dismantle the primary drive I'll be ready!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Got me a rattle gun
« Reply #1 on: 17.05. 2016 11:12 »
That's a great price for a very useful tool GB. Mine gets used quite often. Cost 10 times as much 20 years ago but worth every cent.
Cheers.
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.05. 2016 14:17 »
I've had the Aldi kit for many years now GB and it's still working fine, I do believe the compressor they sell now is of bigger capacity tho.
I  upgraded the spray gun for a bit better one but think with practise the one supplied would work fine, sprayed the tinware on the Flash last year and very pleased with the comments it's received, I did get a lot of good advise from our local paintshop who also supplied the paint.

Yes good stuff
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.05. 2016 22:51 »
That's a darned good deal. I paid $90 US for a used 3/8" drive MAC 8 years ago and around $250 for a new 1/2" drive from Cornwell.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.05. 2016 23:14 »
Although it looks just like a professional one I don't suppose this gun would last long in a commercial shop but the amount of use it's going to get from me means it should see me out. I also have a pnuematic 3/8" drive ratchet which is handy.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.05. 2016 01:44 »
I tried a pneumatic ratchet when I was first working at Big Twin. Didn't save enough time for me to be worth the noise it made.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.05. 2016 09:08 »
I tried a pneumatic ratchet when I was first working at Big Twin. Didn't save enough time for me to be worth the noise it made.
I don't think an air ratchet is going to get used on a motorcycle. I used the gizmo yesterday to tighten up some difficult to get at bolts on a couple of fence post sockets. Air ratchets are very good for tight access jobs.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 18.05. 2016 20:07 »
bought a few air tools at car boot cheap but compressor not big enough to cope *sad2*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 19.05. 2016 00:42 »
Compressors are never big enough. I'm running a 5hp Craftsman with 30 gallon tank. They claimed around 9 cfm at 90 psi when I bought it 20 years ago. Don't think it's doing that well any more. Doesn"t even keep up with sanders and die grinders, let alone a media blaster.
Not quite ready to spend the $1200-1500 US for the unit I really need, so I spend a fair amount of time idle waiting for the pressure to come back up. Oh well, I'm not on the clock anymore!
Good Advice
No reactions