Author Topic: Eddie Dow Brake  (Read 3651 times)

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
Eddie Dow Brake
« on: 19.05. 2016 07:07 »
'afternoon All,
Does anyone have an Eddie Dow TLS of this style on their A10.  It fits the full with 8" drum and at a wild guess I'd say the casting is based on a '68 Triumph 650. 
It is however very different and a Triumph item would not work with the BSA drum.  I'm just interested to know when this model hit the Dow catalogue as its pretty uncommon.
I plan on fitting it to my '62 Super Rocket & expect major stopping improvements over the SLS *eek*
Hoping the pics come through OK....still coming to grips with the site *smile*
Australia
"The older I get the better I was"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Eddie Dow Brake
« Reply #1 on: 19.05. 2016 07:48 »
I don't know about the brake, but the pictures are very good.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.05. 2016 08:52 »
 This was discussed a while ago, BSA also used this design in '68, and changed the lever action for '69 ->'70.

I can't imagine why Eddie Dow would copy what was already done *dunno*...Maybe he did it first and the factory(ies) copied him?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #3 on: 19.05. 2016 09:13 »
Actually this is not the same as the '68 A65 brake (which was the Triumph brake & drum). Only the outer part of the casting bears a resemblance.  I have the Lightning brake referred to also in my workshop and functionally and internally a totally different animal.
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 19.05. 2016 09:57 »
Here is a pic of the brake BSA used for comparison.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2016 10:36 »

Brian, according to the parts books, that's the revised version for '69-'70 as per attachment 1.

The '68 is as per attachment 2 current topic of discussion(and was the topic of discussion a while back).

Both screen shot from parts books.  I'm fairly sure I grafted one of the later ones into my '58 RR, but may have changed the wheel complete *dunno*

I think I got that right *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 19.05. 2016 15:35 »
Eddie Dow's Catalogue and Price List for December 1970 lists Duetto 2.L.S. Brake for A7/A10 full width hub - price £14.50....Mmmm.....those were the days, I suppose it all relative to earnings at the time!
All the best to all....

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 19.05. 2016 15:53 »
Hi oldvet, I have this brake on my 1960 Gold Flash and it is a nice piece of kit. Not sure of the stopping power yet as the bike won't be on the road for a few weeks but I am expecting at least a big improvement over the  SLS brake.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 20.05. 2016 03:07 »
hi guys, yeah I really like the T.L.S front brake got one on mine, I had the rim part turned off as I like that look better, don't see the point of the rim other that maybe being a heat sink or something. I have another with rim on for spare, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #9 on: 20.05. 2016 03:48 »
Yes I agree, the Triumph brake looks better without the rim on the early bikes.  If I'd planned things a bit earlier I probably would have ended up putting a Triumph hub and brake in mine.  However as I now have a genuine Eddie Dow brake and paid probably way too much for it I may just leave the rim in place  *smile*.
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 20.05. 2016 04:32 »
This one came from a 68 Lightning. I need to do something about the arms , which are bare steel and have a bit of surface rust already. The brake was quite rough looking but cleaned up OK when I installed it last fall. It will squeal the tire quite easily.
To my eyes, it looks like the same casting as the Eddie Dow brake above, but I might be missing some detail.
The Eddie Dow "Duetto" brakes I've found photos of online look totally different to these brakes. I did read that Taylor Dow sold several different "Duetto"  brakes over the years.

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #11 on: 20.05. 2016 06:51 »
G'day Worntorn, you are right at first glace it looks to be the same casting however up close it differs in many ways.  The '68 plate could never work with the A10 drum. The visible side of the casting has, in my opinion, been copied from the '68 however the business side is totally different.
You are also correct in the Duetto is a totally different animal.  I'm just interested to see when this variant showed up on the market.
Hope you are starting to get some decent weather for your riding season up there  *smile*
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 20.05. 2016 08:12 »
The drum and wheel in my photo are stock a10 63 Super Rocket and the brake is from a 68 Lightning. The Lightning shoes were a smidge wider than the stock a10 shoes, but the drum had just enough spare width to handle the difference. So the 2 ls Lightning brake fit right in without any machining, just a straight bolt-up. Maybe I was lucky with the fit.
 It sure felt great the first time I pulled the 2 ls brake on, what a difference!
In fairness to the stock brake, it was worn out , glazed and covered in grease. So no brake at all, really.

Glen

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 20.05. 2016 22:03 »
Hi All,
I have a TD brake in a single sided cast iron hub, its a good brake
I also have a full width BSA wheel and TD brake,
the givaway feature on the TD brakes are the alloy brake arms and clevises
The TD brake was available  before BSA /Tri introduced the TLS in 67-8
They offered TLS plates for  1965 A65's in this catalog
http://www.motos-anglaises.com/catalogues/eddie-dow_gold-star.pdf
As far as I know they had the single sided and 190mm plate available earlier?????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 20.05. 2016 22:55 »
Good one John. How do I clean the drool off the keyboard?
I need a return ticket with extra luggage on a time machine.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7