Author Topic: Indian Petrol Tank feedback  (Read 2866 times)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Indian Petrol Tank feedback
« Reply #15 on: 22.05. 2016 15:57 »
Just this week I picked up a set of rear plunger covers from a reputable dealer here in Melbourne.
He had them on order for several weeks & I had a 3 week wait till they arrived...
Undid the packaging & discovered they had been painted directly over lumps of RUST  *pull hair out*
I rang the dealer & voiced my disgust, & was told that his supplier was the only company making them. 
I was offered a exchange, but as I decided I'd clean them up & paint them myself i'd let it slip..
I bet they came from you know where...   *whistle*

That's a real bugga, Wozza.
If the man says that his supplier is the only one making them, he's talking crap...
I got a set from Peter's classic bikes. They are made in England, and of superb quality, ready to put on, so there's definitely better available on the market
http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/nl/d126_01.html bottom of page
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 22.05. 2016 18:20 »
Just this week I picked up a set of rear plunger covers from a reputable dealer here in Melbourne.
He had them on order for several weeks & I had a 3 week wait till they arrived...
Undid the packaging & discovered they had been painted directly over lumps of RUST  *pull hair out*
I rang the dealer & voiced my disgust, & was told that his supplier was the only company making them. 
I was offered a exchange, but as I decided I'd clean them up & paint them myself i'd let it slip..
I bet they came from you know where...   *whistle*

That's a real bugga, Wozza.
If the man says that his supplier is the only one making them, he's talking crap...
I got a set from Peter's classic bikes. They are made in England, and of superb quality, ready to put on, so there's definitely better available on the market
http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/nl/d126_01.html bottom of page
with all the interest shown in tee shirts on the forum look at his selection

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 22.05. 2016 18:28 »
with all the interest shown in tee shirts on the forum look at his selection
I didn't see one for the A7A10 Forum!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 22.05. 2016 20:13 »
In answer to one question I got mine from Enfield County.

You do get what you pay for and whilst happy so far I take on board some of the comments above. I guess you judge things by the standards you set for them. I bought this tank as I wanted a four gallon tank option for my bitsa. In keeping with the weight saving mods I've done I did fancy an alloy tank but had not come across one that suited without taking out a mortgage.

Encouraging to hear about rapid onset of rust; I'll get that patina in no time then  ;)
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline John k

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 25.05. 2016 16:51 »
I too have an A10 bitsa got to be the best model :-),
have recently bought an Indian fuel tank and was surprised at the quality and weight of the tank,
Very pleased with My purchase.

John.

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #20 on: 19.06. 2016 13:51 »
Wozza mentioned "A reputable dealer in Melbourne", that made me laugh, as he has a reputation of being a grumpy so and so!
 *clap* *lol* *clap* *lol* *clap* *lol* *wink2*
Yep... thats him...
Arn't they all...😜

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.06. 2016 14:15 »
 I attempted to remove the red oxide primer from inside my tank. I tried solvents in a reasonable order (reasonable to me).

Turpentine, did nothing. Lacquer thinner, did nothing, Acetone, might have worked if I had 2 years. Ethyl Acetate, really did soften the primer, I could wipe it off anywhere I could reach inside the tank quite easily.  Zylene (sp?) would have been next, but I just ran out of caring when there were no more chunks, just red staining in the solvent.

The real problem comes in that you cannot physically reach everywhere, making complete removal impossible. Even with 30 drywall screws, and 25 washers swirling around in there, there are many dings inside from forming the tank. Its honestly just too much work to worry about. I am not big on tank sealants, and just did not want big gobs of primer floating around.

Complete removal is going to be a time thing for me. I probably removed 65% of it, I will run a very good fuel filter and change it when needed. Eventually, all the primer will be gone and I will be too old to worry much about it by then.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.06. 2016 17:46 »
Hi,
What you need to use is a paint stripper that contains Methylene Chloride,
This used to be tha active ingredient in "Nitromors" and other paint strippers but has been removed in recent times
Methylene Chloride can be bought from eBay and Amazon if needed

Its powerful stuff and will ruin the tank paintwork if it comes in contact with it  *warn* *warn* *warn* *warn* *warn*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 20.06. 2016 12:15 »
 John,

I really thought about a paint stripper, but then I thought better of it. Reason being that I cannot see, or reach into all parts of the tank to be sure I remove all the wadded up primer. Even shaking with fasteners inside would not seem to be a guaranteed thing.

The washers/ screws just want to follow low spots and seams, parts like the frame tube hump hardly got touched. Then I would worry about the ends of the tank I cannot see at all....then I would not sleep at night, would start having nightmares, and next thing you know I am in some lunatic asylum babbling about paint chips in the fuel lines........ *eek*

Nope, I am just going to roll with a little primer in the tank. ;)

Lee

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 20.06. 2016 13:58 »
I know you don't want to use a sealer but I used POR-15 to seal my tank after it returned from chroming with rust inside. I'd tried the screws nuts and bolts to remove the rust but I was still left with a solid but rusty surface.
POR-15 seems to be very good for me; no sign of flaking off.
Mind you in the UK we don't have as much Ethanol as some other countries. Also my tank had a solid mettalic surface for the stuff to bond to. Might be worth contacting the makers to see if they think it would be OK over a primered surface.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 20.06. 2016 19:23 »
I know you don't want to use a sealer but I used POR-15 to seal my tank after it returned from chroming with rust inside. I'd tried the screws nuts and bolts to remove the rust but I was still left with a solid but rusty surface.

Dunno about getting rid of primer but on another forum I use the guys use a battery charger and electrolysis to remove rust from the inside of the tanks

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 20.06. 2016 20:28 »
POR-15 seems to be very good for me; no sign of flaking off.
Mind you in the UK we don't have as much Ethanol as some other countries. Also my tank had a solid mettalic surface for the stuff to bond to. Might be worth contacting the makers to see if they think it would be OK over a primered surface.

If you guys like Por-15, you might want to check out www.kbs-coatings.com , they sell kits for bikes. These kits are the right size for our projects, so you dont have to buy a gallon to paint 2 hubs.

I have bought their frame painting kit with rust paint and a topcoat, and one kit to seal a tank. This is the stuff a lot of people are buying over here, its like POR-15, but again in amounts we need. I hear very good things about this product.

I bought the tank seal to seal my original rusted, dented tank and I will use that for the first few weeks just in case something goes south.

Lee

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #27 on: 20.06. 2016 20:55 »
G'day Lee.
Theonly way to get the red gunk out is to use paint stripper. I made a mix of stripper and thinners, shot in a coupl'a dozen screws nuts and bolts. Wrapped the tank in an old doona and threw it in a cement mixer for a few hours, reversing now and then. washed out with clean thinners then water, dried with a hot air blower. Job done.
I've used KBS a couple of times with mixed success. POR15 does have a bike tank kit and have had 100% success.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 20.06. 2016 23:20 »
...another forum I use the guys use a battery charger and electrolysis to remove rust from the inside of the tanks
Maybe before it's been chromed?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 20.06. 2016 23:23 »
POR-15 actually prefers a wet surface; water helps it to react quicker.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK