Author Topic: any pics of oil filter under right swingarm?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
any pics of oil filter under right swingarm?
« on: 20.05. 2016 02:20 »
hello
i've read lots of threads and found lots of pics of where to mount a spin-on oil filter on the a10 (super rocket - swing arm).
the summary appears to be in the toolbox, around ski-ramp/carb area, adjacent to the battery, above the pillion peg and below the swing arm.
As i carry so many tools *eek*  and would prefer to mount it below the oil level, my favored spot is currently below the swing arm on the right. but i haven't found any pictures of this location. so...

does anyone have a picture of an oil filter mounted just below the swing arm, right hand side, still retaining a centre stand?
or can you point me to one?
is that location possible with the centre stand?

thanks

Mike
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: any pics of oil filter under right swingarm?
« Reply #1 on: 20.05. 2016 08:09 »
Hi Mike.
I can recall one of our forum members mounting the remote oil filter actually under the engine, there are pictures on here, you need to search, seemed a neat solution. I can see the benifit in fitting one, and would consider if doing high mileage, but just seems a lot of trouble to me with more potential leak paths.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 20.05. 2016 08:23 »
I fitted mine underneath the ski slope. If you look carefully in the picture you will see the oil line behind the gearbox, that is the ony indication that the bike has a filter fitted.

I used the filter that holds the Rocket 3 type filter (long skinny one).

I do have to remove the ski slope to change the filter but that only takes a few minutes.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 20.05. 2016 08:50 »
thanks for the replies. i did see the pic of one under the bike (an RGS?) forward facing and horizontal.
I'm keen to fit one under the swing arm vertically if that's possible with a centre stand and also use a twist-on car type. the reason being better clearance if I jump gutters (don't you all do that?), less messy changes if vertical and as i understand it the rocket 3 type, the hi de hi and even the expensive morgo type don't have a relief circuits should they get blocked. whereas the crusty old cartridge type does.

anyone manage to fit one under the swing arm?
New Zealand

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.05. 2016 09:03 »
On my Plunger I fitted a car type filter on the front of the rear mudguard right behind the gearbox. I'm very pleased with the result. I don't know if the same position is possible on a swing arm model.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 20.05. 2016 09:26 »
The filter element in the Hi-de-Hi is spring loaded at its output end and bears against a rubber sealing washer at the inlet end. So if blocked the filter element would lift. Blocking would take one hell of a lot of crap in the oil IMO.

One difference between this and the spin on types is that there is no valve to stop reverse flow, although I cannot see how that would cause any problem on our machines.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 20.05. 2016 09:46 »
Here is a Hi de Hi filter as fitted to my bike.

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 20.05. 2016 13:22 »
heres one on a rigid..48..  bolted to whatever the hole is for on the cross strap on the lower frame tubes
the other picture is the routing for the rocker box..drilled and tapped a standard fitting

I use a filter that fits ...Toyota diesel v8 ..2015...and likely a few hundred others

had some issues with the amount of black stuff collecting on the magnets in my oil tank....did some looking into...turns out the filter is only designed to filter about 20% of the oil...the rest goes thru a bypass

I build cabinets in the same shed...covered in sawdust

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 30.05. 2016 09:26 »
So I've finished mounting a filter under the swingarm and thought I'd post back pics for the next person who has such wanton desires, as I couldn’t find any on the forum. it was very fiddly, especially getting the oil pipes connected, but at least i still have the full toolbox for much needed tools! below some pics

1. the bracket i made from some 50x3 bar. note the weird angles to get the filter mounted so the filter in & out pipes clear the frame, and sloping back a bit for more tyre clearance. i tapped threads into the bracket to ease mounting.

2. the bracket and filter head, mounted on what I assume are spare mudguard mounts on the frame - this 61 super rocket has a shorter mudguard and those mounting points were doing nothing else. note there's a good 8mm below the swingarm and the filter sits just above the stop point for the centre stand and can be easily changed with the wheel on.

3. the mounted filter with the wheel back on. has good clearance.

4. the plumbing. i cut the return line and it was plenty long enough for both new sections. for the filter out rubber pipes turned too tightly and risked crimping, so i used a fancy 120 degree speedflow bend, but I'm not too happy with this as I mutilated it a bit to fit. so one day I may redo it with a piece of copper tube (shaped a bit like the wire in the last pic below). the problem is protrusions on the gearbox which forces the pipe to veer inward (to the centre line) then turn tightly up to face the oil tank return

5. top view of the plumbing. its tight. if my gearbox adjust further back i hope it still all fits.

6. if you really want to make a similar bracket, a plan. don't drill the holes until you make sure it fits your bike as there is little room for error. and make sure you have a plan for the plumbing - that bent wire is the starting shape for some tubing from the filter out (3/8 od) to the tank return.

if you think i've done something likely to me cause trouble please let me know!!
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.05. 2016 09:57 »

I originally fitted a No.t,on type filter, but took it off because of conflicting ideas on which way to wire(plumb) it up, but had it in much the same place as I guess Greybeards is. But that's Plunger territory *fight*

They take the same cartridge as I think a Citroen 2CV. maybe one day I'll put it back on
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 30.05. 2016 21:10 »
Top job Mike. Thanks for posting.
The Notrun filter head takes KN153, HF153 filters same as DuKaties.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 31.05. 2016 00:21 »
Hi Dutch and All,

The flow direction is" in" to the outside of the filter and out through the centre "threaded" connection

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 31.05. 2016 20:10 »
hi, never gave it a thought about mounting a filter under the bike ,i just made a bracket and stuck where i could fit it ! (as per photos if i have managed to attach them to this post ),Been on for about a year now so it must be ok .
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 31.05. 2016 20:12 »
hummm, should have been 2 photos ?
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 31.05. 2016 20:41 »
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2913.msg59586#msg59586

Here was my take on a "make something happen" in the oil filter realm. As is often the case in his work, I think Richard (Orabanda) may have about the neatest take on filter installation. Scroll down under my post to see his.

Richard L.

P.S. For some reason I can only paste links at the beginning of my posts when using my cell phone.