Author Topic: Starting tips after 5 years stored.  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
Starting tips after 5 years stored.
« on: 04.06. 2016 07:45 »
Have just acquired 1957 A10 that's been barn stored for 5 years untouched. Any advice please on the procedure for getting her started again?
Thanks
Paddy.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
Re: Starting tips after 5 years stored.
« Reply #1 on: 04.06. 2016 09:23 »
Lucky you! I'd firstly find out as much as you can about its history if possible. Why was it laid-up? If and when it was re-built and if it can't be authenticated then consider an engine strip and clean. Re-build as necessary. Many old twins when re-started after a good lay-up fail due to clogged sludge traps etc. If you are happy that the above isn't needed then start with  draining the sump, examine contents of sump.New / clean oil filter and fresh oil. Check for a spark before knackering your right leg trying to start it. Once started check for good oil flow return in the tank. Thats my penneth worth anyway. Good luck

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #2 on: 04.06. 2016 09:52 »
Thanks mugwamp.
As far a I'm told. It was running fine, and apparently last started 4 years ago. I'm not confident enough to strip motor, but I'm aware of the sludge trap issues.
Is there a way to check the mag to see if I'm likely to get a spark? Is it worth after draining sump to add engine cleaner in with 1st lot of new oil? And spray some carb cleaner after draining float bowl?
Cheers.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2016 10:29 »
Hi Padsta.
Make sure the engine is free.
I would put in new oil, fuel and plugs and give it a kick.
Maybe put a few drops of  oil into the plug 'oles.
You could check spark with the plug out but chances are, if it was running OK before it's layup, it will start.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 04.06. 2016 13:02 »
Hi Padsta33, I most certainly would'nt advise any engine cleaner or additives to the oil, or flushing oils. A little carb cleaner won't hurt and have you made sure that the clutch plates are free, by pulling in the clutch lever and kicking over a few times. When operating the clutch lever all the plates should be free of each other, if bike has been standing for any length of time they can become stuck to each other, its not a problem. My Matchy plates become stck after only standing for a week!j

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 04.06. 2016 13:08 »
The dynamo will most likley have lost its residual magnetism and might need to be flashed.
Tip the bie to the left ( side stand) and remove the oil drain plug to get as much of the gunk settled in the bottom of the oil tank out.
I have the luxury of an oil pump so I can suck the bottom of the tank dry ( don't know what I did without it ).
Refill with some cheap oil.
Start it up , warm it genty for 10 to 15 minutes drain the oil and refill with some more cheap thin oil.
Go out for a short 10 to 30 minute ride then drain the oil again into a clean container.
have a good look at what comes out.

Very important to also change the fork oil and again, do it twice.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 04.06. 2016 13:35 »
Most importantly, forgot to mention to check and see if there is an anti wet-sumping tap fitted. If so it will be fitted in the oil line just below the oil tank. This MUST be in the on position for running the engine. Hope this isn't teaching egg sucking etc. But, if you are not up to stripping engines this may be new to you. These bikes, like many others, are prone to what is called wet-sumping. This is when the oil drains from the oil tank and into the sump if the engine is not run for some time. Many bikes have a tap fitted to prevent this. Good luck and come back to the forum if you have any probs starting up.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.06. 2016 13:38 »
Change oil and clean filters. Take plugs out. Loosen rocker feed banjo bolts. Kick bike over while checking for sparks. When clean oil seeps from banjo bolts, re-tighten them. Another dozen or so kicks. Fresh fuel in tank. Kick over a few times. Replace plugs. Start bike (hopefully). Check oil return in oil tank.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.06. 2016 15:28 »
Shouldn't we talk about multigrade detergent oil loosening the sludge in the trap?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 04.06. 2016 16:15 »
Shouldn't we talk about multigrade detergent oil loosening the sludge in the trap?

Good advice, and very important

if you don't know what Oil the engine has run, please do not use multigrade Oils.

Four years in`t realy long time, as told upside, new Oil, cleaning the patroltaps is recommented.
Try it and dont care about the spark btw the magneto. If the engine fired up everything is ok. Most failures appeared when the Mag is running hot.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 05.06. 2016 12:11 »

No becaue they don't
This is another urban myth.

A detergent oil is not a washing up detergent, It does not clean baked on  / packed in deposits from your engine except in TV commercials made by people with qualification in phycology & mass marketing, not SCIENCE & ENGINEERING..
At one end of the detergent molecule is a radical that hates itself so will bond to anything other than another detergent molecule.
At the other end the molecule will only stick to an oil molecule
Thus when they come across a lump of crud, one end sticks to it.
Eventually the bit of crud will be totally surrounded by detergent molecules so will be a lot bigger and easier to filter off.

The reason why you don't use high detergent oil in bikes with out oil filters is the little bits of crud surrounded by oil molecules do not settle out and continually circulate around your engine slowly erroding all the oil ways .
It will not scour your engine like a dish washer

Sludging oils were similar except both ends of the detergent molecule are homophobic so each end sticks to a piece of crud and neither end wants to hang around with those greasy oil molecules.
Thus they sort of glue all the bits of crud together into really big globs so when they get into the oil tank they will sink to the bottom below the outlet and stay there
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 05.06. 2016 12:16 »
except in TV commercials made by people with qualification in phycology & mass marketing, not SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
now isn't that a fact, and covers about all of modern life - (guess who's in old fart mode today??)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #12 on: 05.06. 2016 14:45 »
Having just had chance to check her over, not getting no spark. Taken plugs out and turned it over and nothing. Put fresh battery on to check lights  etc,  nothing. The switch on toolbox when on is reading 6v plus. Any advice where I should go from here?
Thanks.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.06. 2016 15:42 »
The switch on toolbox when on is reading 6v plus

Oh oh, I think some pics would be handy if possible Paddsta33, the nearest switch to the toolbox is not "on the toolbox" but below it and is the rear brake light, if you've got 6 volts there then thats as it should be, if there is a switch ON the toolbox it's not standard and could be part of an anti theft measure or a anti wet sumping system, some care needed here.
Pictures would help us probably
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #14 on: 05.06. 2016 16:22 »
Trying to upload but keeps saying file is too large? Is there a way too sort this?

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!