Author Topic: Starting tips after 5 years stored.  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
Re: Starting tips after 5 years stored.
« Reply #15 on: 05.06. 2016 17:04 »
Hopefully this works...

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #16 on: 05.06. 2016 17:10 »

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 05.06. 2016 21:32 »
Looks to me like a security switch, anti theft etc. Is there a wire coming from the Magneto end cap and if so can you trace where it goes. If it leads to the switch then disconnect it. If unable to trace the wire then snip it off for the time being. Now see if you have a spark at the plug with plug laid on the cylinder head. If no spark remove end cap of magneto and check that the points have not closed up or are not too larger gap, Gap should be 13thou. Make sure the points are clean by passing some Very fine abrasive paper over the points. Another thing to check 
are the carbon pick-ups on the end of the plug leads where they enter the Mag. Check they are there, and clean the slip ring they brush against with a petrol dampened rag on a stick. If still no spark then I think the mag may be kaput. I presume you have tried both plugs?
Can't think of much else at this stage. Except, check that the earthing brush is clean and in good order. Brush is under screw head next to the Lucas label on end of the mag.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #18 on: 06.06. 2016 06:57 »
Looks to me like a security switch, anti theft etc. Is there a wire coming from the Magneto end cap and if so can you trace where it goes. If it leads to the switch then disconnect it. If unable to trace the wire then snip it off for the time being. Now see if you have a spark at the plug with plug laid on the cylinder head. If no spark remove end cap of magneto and check that the points have not closed up or are not too larger gap, Gap should be 13thou. Make sure the points are clean by passing some Very fine abrasive paper over the points. Another thing to check 
are the carbon pick-ups on the end of the plug leads where they enter the Mag. Check they are there, and clean the slip ring they brush against with a petrol dampened rag on a stick. If still no spark then I think the mag may be kaput. I presume you have tried both plugs?
Can't think of much else at this stage. Except, check that the earthing brush is clean and in good order. Brush is under screw head next to the Lucas label on end of the mag.
Thank Mug.
The switch probably is a security thing. Thought it was normal as I have the same on my other goldflash.
Think the mag is wired too this switch. (Sorry I'm not very up on with all this). So by disconecting this from switch, where does the mag get power? Today I will buy some new ht leads and check the points and report back. Appreciate all this help!

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 06.06. 2016 08:22 »

The magneto generates its own spark, that's what they do. I think depending on the points plate, there's also an earth brush behind that- mine has both and will run without at least the one mentioned *conf*

I suggest cleaning everything as mentioned above, and also check the big semi circular points breaker spring is not earthing on the slip-ring (if not already mentioned and I missed it)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 06.06. 2016 08:54 »
After a long stay and when the points open, they oxidate on the surface. Result is no spark they transmit no tension.
Give the points a clean witch a 600 grindingpaper and try it again. I guess this keep the Mag working.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 06.06. 2016 09:07 »
The switch is probably connected to the Magneto cut out (this is a wire on the very end of the magneto, on a screw in the very centre of the back magneto end cap.
when this is earthed the Magneto stop sending sparks, security switch will have this earthed.
Disconnect the wire at the switch but insulate it as  if it touches the frame or engine it will also earth.
normally there is a push button on the handle bars that does this job.

easiest way though is to first just try starting with the switch off (if you can define off)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 06.06. 2016 11:18 »
I have also a switch like this. This disconnect the Batterie from the Generator and the engine stops by connection the engine cut out and other way round.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 07.06. 2016 11:05 »
Padsta, if you have carried out all the checks so far outlined with no joy then I'm afraid you will have to bite the bullet and have the mag overhauled. Its well worth doing as you shouldn't need to worry about it again in your lifetime. The one thing that can't be repaired at the roadside is a dead mag.
Fit and forget. The condensor on the Lucas KF2 mag is burried inside and not accessable for an anmateur. You can fit a modern alternative to the points plate, but then if thats the case the windings etc are probably very old and on their way out anyway. You are flogging a dead horse. 

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #24 on: 07.06. 2016 14:58 »
Just to be absolutely sure disconnect the (bloody) wire from the mag ,then try again as someone previously said ,Dutch I think , the mag produces its own sparks without any outside power source required .Then with the end cover off remove the little bolt in the middle ,it's long and remove the points assembly from the mag and clean the points , if any burning on the points clean with wet and dry or similar ,if bad take apart and use a file to clean then reassemble and fit back into the grove in the mag tighten centre bolt ,check gap ,adjust to 12 thou ,then repeat at the second if close ok if miles out the cam ring kaput without  some work . If you do this and still dead at least you know you're not wasting your money getting the mag reconned .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #25 on: 07.06. 2016 19:42 »
Just to be absolutely sure disconnect the (bloody) wire from the mag ,then try again as someone previously said ,Dutch I think , the mag produces its own sparks without any outside power source required .Then with the end cover off remove the little bolt in the middle ,it's long and remove the points assembly from the mag and clean the points , if any burning on the points clean with wet and dry or similar ,if bad take apart and use a file to clean then reassemble and fit back into the grove in the mag tighten centre bolt ,check gap ,adjust to 12 thou ,then repeat at the second if close ok if miles out the cam ring kaput without  some work . If you do this and still dead at least you know you're not wasting your money getting the mag reconned .
Cheers, will do so, but recon I will just get the bloody thing overhauled...Tiz done then!

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: 10.06. 2016 21:51 »
Trying to upload but keeps saying file is too large? Is there a way too sort this?
If you got Windows, click right on your picture, choose "open with" then choose "paint"
On the upper left you should have a button "change size"
Once you have changed the size, click "File", "save as" and save. Clicking right on your saved picture, then clicking on "properties" tells you the size of the actual file.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #27 on: 11.06. 2016 08:05 »
Trying to upload but keeps saying file is too large? Is there a way too sort this?
If you got Windows, click right on your picture, choose "open with" then choose "paint"
On the upper left you should have a button "change size"
Once you have changed the size, click "File", "save as" and save. Clicking right on your saved picture, then clicking on "properties" tells you the size of the actual file.
Cheers for tip but I'm not a windows man. It's either Mac or Android phone.
I've now found an app that does the job!

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #28 on: 11.06. 2016 08:09 »
Cleaning up nicely.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #29 on: 11.06. 2016 11:08 »
Can't be right, she hasn't marked her spot.
Looks good.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7