Author Topic: RGS / Gold star rear brake arm  (Read 623 times)

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
RGS / Gold star rear brake arm
« on: 04.06. 2016 22:24 »
The brake rod on my RGS is catching the underside of the shock absorber...the brake lever is 90mm / 3.5 imches long, and has a casting number on it 85-6279. I know the correct lever is 42-6045 and should be fitted...but can anyone tell me how long this lever is.

Thanks

Howard
Howard

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
Re: RGS / Gold star rear brake arm
« Reply #1 on: 15.06. 2016 12:57 »
Hi Howard,
The centre to centre distance on the lever on my RGS is about 68.6mm as far as I can measure.  As BSA worked in inches, it may well be 2.75".  There is a fair bit of sideways offset on the lever and that takes the brake rod away from the lower area of the lug to which the rear suspension units attach.  I hope that makes sense.  If not then ask!

While you're in that area, a common snag with the actual brake rods is that the fork at the front end of the rod, which is pinned by a 1/4" bolt to the little arm at the top of the brake pedal, needs one side of the bottom of the gap in the fork relieving, otherwise the bottom of the gap fouls the little lever when the brake is applied.  This is well known to be an issue with rear-sets and it may also apply to forward footrests.

Jon

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 04.03. 2017 13:10 »
Hi Jon...brake arm must have been off an A65 with the casting part number. Bought a new one off G Prew and everything lines up now, correct one is shorter and offset more...sorry about the delay in answering...Many thanks.

Howard
Howard

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.03. 2017 20:41 »
Hi Howard,

Glad to hear you're sorted out now.

Yes, George Prew is good for things that fit properly and he knows his RGSs and Goldies very well.

Best regards,

Jon

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 06.03. 2017 11:16 »
Upgraded brakes were first fitted to the sports models
Then to the cooking versions a year or two latter.
Thus the Gold Star rear ended up on A65's
handy when you are doing a Goldie.
Bike Beesa
Trevor