Author Topic: Need advice on attending Isle of Man TT  (Read 460 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Need advice on attending Isle of Man TT
« on: 08.06. 2016 04:05 »
I've been wanting to attend the Isle of Man races for nearly 50 years. Decided I should just start planning and do it, but was trying to figure who I know that may want to go (more fun than going alone, I think).  My oldest bud just happened to call last night and started asking if I'd been watching and told me his wife said he deserves a vacation and they should go next year. So that part is solved. Now I'm wondering about lots of things. I assume we fly to England, then get a ferry. I'm guessing we should start planning and making reservations now? I know that some of you have been there, and would very much appreciate any advice/suggestions for how to go about this. I've never traveled overseas. I can't imagine going without a bike. Does England have motorcycle rental companies? Vintage would be awesome. I'd love to go on a BSA A10, B34, Royal Enfield, Norton, etc. Just seems right. Okay, I can ride a modern BMW if I must, but a Guzzi would suit me better. I'm a babe lost in the woods on this sort of thing, so any advice is appreciated.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Re: Need advice on attending Isle of Man TT
« Reply #1 on: 08.06. 2016 06:19 »
My wife and I attended the IOM Centenary in 2007. I shipped my bike from Vancouver BC, Canada to Manchester, England  on the same aircraft that we flew on. Cost was about $900 CDN each way. The IOM organizers had invited anyone with a Vincent to take part in a Parade Lap, closed roads, no speed limits.
We spent a week at the Isle of Man then three weeks touring England and Scotland.
The IOM lap was tremendous fun (234 corners?) but the icing on the cake was the 2500 miles of touring we did afterward.
I did consider renting a bike, but that would have meant missing out on the IOM lap plus it was cost prohibitive for a full month of use. As I recall the quote for a rental bike was something like £100 per day, so we were way ahead by shipping the Vincent over, plus it's nice to ride your own bike.
The arrangements for the IOM week were all done by the Vincent club. I do recall seeing the Steam Packet Co fees for the ferry ride- quite expensive, it's obvious they have a monopoly!
If you are able to do it, go for it.
It's been nine years now and I really want to get back there at least once more before entering the twilight help me home:-)

Here's a link to a Video Gerry Jenkinson made of the Vincent Lap. I made the closing credits, that's me in the gaudy red/black/white Suzuki leathers passing a Black Prince on my Rapide (engine 38, the 38 th Vincent built after WW2) The old bike was really flying that day.
Please let me know if there is a problem with the link.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=b96qUn1EKsI

Glen
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08.06. 2016 10:08 »
Link didn't work.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Good Advice
No reactions

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 08.06. 2016 10:17 »
And that's you at the 1:35 mark. *yeah*
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 08.06. 2016 11:27 »
I went last year on a shoe string budget. Camped in a tent with 3 others for 13 nights at St Johns (walking distance to Ballacraine). We hired a car to get around. Total cost including air fares $5000AU + $700AU beer. 23 hours each way on a plane is all that's stopping me going again.
Which ever way you want to get there book NOW to get the dates you want.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2016 11:37 »
Jach ,as Musky says book early I was trying last yr but amongst other things found the island was basically booked, the people who went rebooked as they were leaving .The steam package company only release prices for booking around March next yr and they go like SH1T of a shovel! I'm in Liverpool they have the steam packets ships a a fast boat but don't think it takes bikes. They also sail from Heysham further up the coast but a bit bleak stay in civilisation is my advice plus I'd never forgive myself if I didn't buy a well travelled and much respected forum member a Pint in my Home city ! Pm me as your trip is planned ,PM me and I'll help in any way I can , Bob
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 08.06. 2016 12:10 »
I was three times at the IOM but the Manx GP. It is not so busy as the TT and more relaxed. It is adviced to book a year before, each 2 weeks near the date, Steampacked rise up the prices.
I recall there were also bikes going with the Manannan  from Liverpool to Douglas.

In 2011 I won the Ramsey Sprint with my Goldstar.

Cheers Klaus
Good Advice
No reactions

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.06. 2016 13:26 »
Happy to lend you my T3, but I'm not sure how easy insurance would be to arrange. Might still be cheaper to hire a bike as a package. Also, I'm in Essex so it's a trek across the country to get there from mine. I got other bikes if your pal needed something also ('89 XLH1200 if you want interesting, ZRX1200 if you want push button for instance), but I'd be a bit precious about handing over my A10 for you guys to flog around the Island.

Anyway, the offer's there if you figure you can make it work for you at any time.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 08.06. 2016 15:53 »
Insurance was a difficult thing until we discovered Knopf Tours in Germany. They do the Green card insurance needed to ride your own US or Canadian bike in the UK and Europe. It was quite inexpensive in 2007, 55 gbp for 3.75 million euros liability for one month.

On edit- - prices have risen since 2007. The cost is now 190 euros for one month of insurance. It is liability only but it gives you the coverage needed to be legal in most of Europe and the UK.

Glen
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Dean

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 08.06. 2016 17:28 »
I go over for the MGP rather than the TT. The atmosphere is great and while its busy its not daft and there are loads of old bikes and bikers.

Its worth signing up for the VMCC rally while there for some good run outs, great food and company.

I stay on Peel campsite which means you are not penned in while roads are closed, the site is great and Peel beach is geat and has a fantastic ice cream parlour.

If you are really stuck for a bike then we'll have to sort out you borrowing one of my A10s.

Be warned, I only intended to go once but keep going back!
Good Advice
No reactions
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 08.06. 2016 18:51 »
Really appreciate the quick responses and kind offers. Spending some extra time to see a bit of the British Isles while there would make sense. I'll have to check with my bud if he really wants to go to TT week, or would the GP do as well. Personally, I like the old bikes but just experiencing the travel and the island suits me fine any way we do it. You folks are once again showing why this is the best forum ever.
Good Advice
No reactions