Author Topic: Plunger slider play  (Read 393 times)

Offline triplethreat3d

• Active
Plunger slider play
« on: 13.06. 2016 22:07 »
Newbie with '51 A7S plunger bitsa - BSA single mounted in plunger frame. Pulled plungers apart today and am wondering if I need new bushes. There is a very small amount of play when the axle slider-bushed part rides on the plunger column. In other words, can move column side to side very very small amount on both left and fight hand sides. Columns appear to be as new with no signs of wear on them at all.  Anyone have advice on reusing or replacing? pic of parts in question attached.

Second unrelated question - anyone have any good experience with replacement mudguards for this period bike? '51 A7 plunger with original 19" wheels and 7" brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Plunger slider play
« Reply #1 on: 14.06. 2016 06:44 »
Try giving it a good squirt of grease before assembly, that should take up some movement..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 14.06. 2016 10:40 »
G'day tripletreat3d,  *welcome* to the forum.
As WozzA said a bit of grease will take up a little movement and once together with the springs I doubt you'll notice it when riding. Mine has a little play but combine it with the front end, the flexi frame and a sprung seat it's like riding a wet sponge. Relax and enjoy.
The Indian guards are OK as long as you don't mind a bit of bog to cover the grinder marks.
Cheers
Now go to http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=13.0 and start a topic telling us about your bike and how you acquired her. Were an inquisitive bunch.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 14.06. 2016 15:28 »
I'm yet to find a front Indian guard with deep valanced sides & a ridge down the centre,
if you find one let me know...  *dunno*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline triplethreat3d

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 14.06. 2016 22:56 »
Will do if successful.