Author Topic: A10 engine strip  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Will

• Moving Up
A10 engine strip
« on: 18.06. 2016 13:50 »
This was bought as restored bike from Denmark , it ran ok but there was a few things I didn't like the exhaust tappet cover was broken one stud had been drilled in wrong position and had broken cover when forced on , a rocker. Cover bolt thread was stripped and glued in !!!! , these things got me suspecting quality of work , Anyway I decided to strip her down first impression were this guy had shares in silicone it was everywhere , I'm a Hgv engineer and hate the stuff , the timing side bush was new but had 6 thou play oh dear the barrels are ok +60 it has new spitfire cam but old and worn cam followers ? on this plus side new pistons and rods hepolite ,the  crank is recon standard big ends oil pump looks good should it turn by hand ? , heated up cases got timing bush out and drive side bearing the drive side nut was buchered cleaned out anti wet sump valve so all in not to bad , time to clean everything up and strip head down one valve look high so will look into that , cleaned out sludge traps
Time to start shopping
Gasket set
Cam followers
Timing side bush
Standard big ends
Cush drive nut
Big end nuts
Sludge trap screws
Rocker cover bolts
Rocker domed end nuts

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 engine strip
« Reply #1 on: 18.06. 2016 15:12 »
    I would add (not necessarily a complete review):

• Oil retaining ball and spring (seated by a tap with a drift and hammer or other method)
    • Crank shim set
    • Rings, unless you are completely confident in the existing.
    • Big-end bolts [because PO was no mechanic, bringing into play likelihood of previous damage (plastic deformation)]
    • Drive-side oil seal
    • Set of new tab washers
    • Sump plate with drain plug and replaceable mesh
    • If alloy head, 1/8"- thick washers for under head bolts

You mention "cleaned out sludge traps." This is plural, so we need to be sure you are referring to the single sludge trap that runs throught the crankshaft mains. If you are referring to the crankshaft, then I assume you are referring to the sludge trap plugs in your list, otherwise, you'll need these plugs.

Hope this helps. Others will (and should) chime in if I've forgotten anything or gone overboard.

Richard L.

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 18.06. 2016 19:21 »

• Oil retaining ball and spring (seated by a tap with a drift and hammer or other method)
      • Crank shim set
      • Big-end bolts [because PO was no mechanic, bringing into play likelihood of previous damage (plastic deformation)]
      • Drive-side oil seal
      • Set of new tab washers

You mention "cleaned out sludge traps." This is plural, so we need to be sure you are referring to the single sludge trap that runs throught the crankshaft mains. If you are referring to the crankshaft, then I assume you are referring to the sludge trap plugs in your list, otherwise, you'll need these plugs.

Hope this helps. Others will (and should) chime in if I've forgotten anything or gone overboard.

Richard L.

Hi Richard I will replace all seals and bearings and tabss as matter of course I have removed sludge trap screws in crankshaft and removed anti slumping valve I have a billet drain plate and will be fitting remote spin on filter as well ,  mine is cast head with thin flange barrel any tips are more than welcome 👍[/list]

Offline polly

• A's Good Friend
    « Reply #3 on: 18.06. 2016 19:25 »
    Having just had to fix and buy things in the uk I would recommend you submit your parts list to Andrew at Priory Magnetos...... I only wish I had found him earlier in my parts buying.

Offline polly

• A's Good Friend
    « Reply #4 on: 18.06. 2016 19:54 »

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
    • Wise & Enlightened
    « Reply #5 on: 18.06. 2016 19:56 »

• Crank shim set
        • Drive-side oil seal
        • Set of new tab washers

Richard L.

Hi Richard I will replace all seals and bearings and tabss as matter of course I have removed sludge trap screws in crankshaft and removed anti slumping valve I have a billet drain plate and will be fitting remote spin on filter as well ,  mine is cast head with thin flange barrel any tips are more than welcome 👍[/list]

mod edit: removed the extraneous letters in the quote :O)
      Sorry if I unnecessarily made recommendations that implied less skill than you have. I presumed you were asking for comments.

Richard L.

Offline Will

• Moving Up
      « Reply #6 on: 18.06. 2016 21:20 »
      Hi Richard no worries mate no offensive taken 👍 all suggestions tip welcome

Offline Will

• Moving Up
      « Reply #7 on: 26.06. 2016 10:00 »
      Cleaning everything up now and waiting for parts /machining oil pump appeared ok but now I'm this far in best to get it checked I think , any recommendations I no srm will sell me new one 👍

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
      « Reply #8 on: 01.07. 2016 00:56 »
      There is a guy on ebay reconditioning oil pumps at a very reasonable price. I have not used him yet but I do aim to give him a try he is a hell of a lot cheaper than SRM.

Offline Will

• Moving Up
      « Reply #9 on: 24.07. 2016 13:21 »
      There is a guy on ebay reconditioning oil pumps at a very reasonable price. I have not used him yet but I do aim to give him a try he is a hell of a lot cheaper than SRM.

Hi mine is with him now just had a report on it he does seem very thorough hopefully get it back soon 👍

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
      « Reply #10 on: 24.07. 2016 16:00 »
      Please could you place a link to the ebay guy?
      Thanks

Offline Will

• Moving Up
      « Reply #11 on: 24.07. 2016 16:08 »
      Please could you place a link to the ebay guy?
      Thanks

Here you go he is really into b31 singles
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162123375819?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
      « Reply #12 on: 26.07. 2016 15:54 »
      Thanks

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
      • Wise & Enlightened
      • l
      « Reply #13 on: 27.07. 2016 10:29 »
      that looks good, thanks for posting
      " rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
      United Kingdom