Author Topic: Primary leak.  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
Primary leak.
« on: 22.06. 2016 14:07 »
Okay her we go. Fun begins!
Getting the old flash ready for show this weekend, figured I'd better check fluids etc. Primary case was low so  put in around quater litre at first, fired her up and it dumped the lot!
 On inspection it looks like it's pouring out from behind the casing not the gasket as suspected. Where would this be leaking from?
It's literally flowing out *sad2*
And advise please?
Paddy.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: Primary leak.
« Reply #1 on: 22.06. 2016 15:55 »
Sounds like it has "wet sumped." There are various remedies. I'd go for the SRM sump drain plug kit & just before you start up after leaving the bike for a while, remove the drain plug, drain oil into a jug & pour back into the oil tank.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2016 16:05 »
if you've put to much in it will through oil out the hole where the gearbox mainshaft enters the primary, at best the seals aren't wonderful and I don't have a seal at all and its not worse! Check the amount it's only enough to wet the bottom chain run ,theres a level screw in the chaincase just about under the footrest and  further down ie at the deepest part of the case  theres a drain screw. find both and fill accordingly . What stu refered to is an unpleaeant habit of these bikes to allow oil from the sump into the p/chaincase via the driveside main bearing ,when you start the bloody lot lets fly DAHIN  *bash* best of luck bob ps wheres the show.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2016 16:13 »
If wet summing is engine oil mixing with it, then it's not that I don't think.  It's strictly red oil coming out. It was pretty much empty in there, so I put in around quarter litre. Fired her up and the whole lot dropped out!
Is there another seal or something behind the casing,
The show is Holsworthy vintage show.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 22.06. 2016 16:28 »
Do a search on the forum and I'm sure you'll find how much oils in there  I'can't remember but its a lot less than 1qtr litre . Try finding the level and drain plug that will sort it for you ,they have cutaways inside to allow oilout the others don't .If you have a torch when you've done just shine it down on the oil inside the case it should just allow the chain to kiss it .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2016 19:00 »
i think the amount is 225cc around 1/2 pint

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #6 on: 22.06. 2016 19:58 »
Ah okay maybe I put too much atf in then?
So if that's the case then would it of been the excess finding it's way out? I'll find the plugs and try again.  As a matter of interest, would much damage be caused if the case was dry of oil whilst in use?

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 22.06. 2016 21:52 »
G'day Paddy.
Primary overfilling from engine wetsumping is normally a trait of earlier plunger/rigid models.
227ml is the correct amount.
Your leak (due to over filling) is coming from the sliding plate, either the felt seal or where the clutch sleeve collar goes through the sliding plate.
The short answer is yes. It can run dry but only for a short while (a few miles). The chain is whizzing around a lot faster than the rear and the bearings in the clutch need a bit of splash. So yes damage will happen with extended use with no oil.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #8 on: 23.06. 2016 06:58 »
G'day Paddy.
Primary overfilling from engine wetsumping is normally a trait of earlier plunger/rigid models.
227ml is the correct amount.
Your leak (due to over filling) is coming from the sliding plate, either the felt seal or where the clutch sleeve collar goes through the sliding plate.
The short answer is yes. It can run dry but only for a short while (a few miles). The chain is whizzing around a lot faster than the rear and the bearings in the clutch need a bit of splash. So yes damage will happen with extended use with no oil.
Cheers
Thank buggers for that! I'll get it corrected today and report back.
So I guess 227cc will happily stay in there without chucking everywhere. It does sound noisy in the primary when  cold, but settles down.
Cheers.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 26.06. 2016 19:25 »
just bought an inner primary case for 59 a10 on the top edge above the  clutch someone has drilled  a hole through the case and tapped a 3/8  bsf thread  *????* could the oil tank have been vented into  the primary case

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #10 on: 27.06. 2016 05:55 »
just bought an inner primary case for 59 a10 on the top edge above the  clutch someone has drilled and tapped a 3/8  bsf thread  *????* could the oil tank have been vented into  the primary case
You mean drill through on the inside inner casing?

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 27.06. 2016 20:14 »
just bought an inner primary case for 59 a10 on the top edge above the  clutch someone has drilled and tapped a 3/8  bsf thread  *????* could the oil tank have been vented into  the primary case
You mean drill through on the inside inner casing?
already done when i bought it

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 01.07. 2016 01:35 »
My question would be why would anybody vent their oil tank thru the primary chaincase? I have never lost oil out of the oil tank vent unless the bike has been overfilled a rubber pipe from the vent either downwards or run right to the back of the bike (as mine is) seems a far better idea.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 01.07. 2016 04:35 »
Like others do, I vent my primary case to prevent pressurization, and the leaks from the bottom that pressurisation can cause.
I drill a 6mm hole high on the inner primary case (approx below the magneto, and press in a Yamaha DT series plastic 90 degree breather adaptor; cheap, and low profile. Then push a short 6mm hose onto the barbed end, and run down level with frame rail.

If the cases are lapped, the sliding plate modified to carry a seal, and the inner case is assembled unstressed (with the correctly selected spacer between the frame and inner casing), and the oil level and drain screws have been sorted, then the casing can be leak free.

Richard