Author Topic: Dynamo ist not charging  (Read 2509 times)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Dynamo ist not charging
« on: 24.06. 2016 01:49 »
adm edit: posts moved from 'Introductions', due to 'many different circumstances" (split, edit, reatribute, etc etc) the original question became post 3 in this topic :O) Can fix it, but topic should be understandable as it is

Hi Martin and welcome,
If the charging system is giving to much grief it is worth considering up grading to 12V system using a Alton 12V AC generator it probably would not cost much more than fixing the existing 6V system, you get much better lights and is very reliable and easy to fit.
No doubt some will disagree with me, but I have fitted the Alton system to both my bikes A7 and A10 and are very happy with them. *smile*
Cheers
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dynamo ist not charging
« Reply #1 on: 24.06. 2016 10:51 »
I think someone might chime in here about if the bike has been stood then the dynamo might need re-energising or some such ... ?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
Dynamo ist not charging
« Reply #2 on: 24.06. 2016 10:55 »
But first of all, I have to find out, why the dynamo ist not charging the battery. I did a few test already, some more will come as soon as there is some time left. I will let you know the results. Maybe I ask you a few questions, if I can't find the answers in the forum...
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 24.06. 2016 14:20 »
I have normal voltage on the dynamo, but it does not affect the ammeter (that is working), because there is no current to the battery.
I suspect the regulator being faulty, so I test a new one next week.
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.07. 2016 08:35 »
Finally I manage to exchange the old reg with a new (Wassell) regulator... now everithing is fine! My apprehension was right.
As in an other post already mentioned, I refer to the very useful site: http://matchlessclueless.com/ it helped me to find out what was wrong.
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.07. 2016 08:57 »

Hiya tinu, I'm not sure we've had the pleasure of inter-action (bet I caught a few out there hey?  *smile*)

So I've had a quick look at the Cluelessmatchie site, but what exactly was your problem? It's hard to decipher without background (except in the likely event that I missed something)...

I'm always curious, as I have intermittent charging issues as I do currently (accidental but well appropriated pun there *smile*)...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.07. 2016 09:20 »
Hi duTch
I had the same problem tiggy discribed in his post http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8617.0, I just read today.
I had always about -4 on the ammeter, engine on or off. So i did some of the tests discribed on the website... Because I was not sure, if I did the test to measure the voltage of the dynamo correctly (it is a bit tricky if you do with no help), I polarised the dynamo. After that I had a good output up to 15 V but still no voltage behind the regulator. I checked a few cables for resistance, what is complicated if you have to disassemble to get good results. Because I couldn't find something suspicious, I bought a new reg, mounted it and now everything is fine.
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 27.07. 2016 20:45 »
Seems it's catching, my regulator has jacked it in. I've sent it back to the maker to test, along with another that failed a while back.........More info to come after they have been tested.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.07. 2016 21:04 »
adm edit: posts moved from 'Introductions', due to 'many different circumstances" (split, edit, reatribute, etc etc) the original question became post 3 in this topic :O) Can fix it, but topic should be understandable as it is

Hi Martin and welcome,
If the charging system is giving to much grief it is worth considering up grading to 12V system using a Alton 12V AC generator it probably would not cost much more than fixing the existing 6V system, you get much better lights and is very reliable and easy to fit.
No doubt some will disagree with me, but I have fitted the Alton system to both my bikes A7 and A10 and are very happy with them. *smile*
Cheers
Peter

I've had Alton failures and I'm not alone in that.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #9 on: 01.10. 2016 12:56 »
Hi gents, just picked up this issue.

My 62 GF wasn't charging so I made some enquiries.  Turns out I needed to clean the dynamo commutator with meths and check the brushes moved easily against the spring - worked a treat and all is good. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 01.10. 2016 16:45 »
The thing about the dynamo is that it needs to be under load some of the time or it will cease to charge. Some years ago when I did my first restoration on a Gold Flash I had the dynamo overhauled and everything was OK for about 6 months when the dynamo stopped charging. I went to see a friend who knew about such things , his first question was do you use your bike at night no I replied therein lies your problem he said. Take the dynamo off clean the commutator up it will probably be black put it back on and you will find it will now be charging. In future when you go out on your bike put the headlights on for about 50% of your journey this puts a load on the dynamo making it work harder you should have no more problems with the charging. I did as he instructed and the dynamo was working again okay I had that bike for a further 15 years and never had another problem with the dynamo charging. On my presnt A7 I always put the headlight on for most of the time I am riding it.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 01.10. 2016 17:58 »
Cheers bikerbob, when I finally get my electrics sorted, I'll give it a try.

I don't generally get out at night due to the unpredictability of the lights, but it's worth giving it a shot during the day to see how things go.

Incidentally, what battery do you use.  I've got a Westco which has failed after six weeks (free replacement on way), but I'm not feeling very confident  *conf*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 02.10. 2016 15:37 »
I use cyclon batteryno problems but you have to use it with an electronic regulator such as DVR2no problems
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 02.10. 2016 16:52 »
Cheers, I've got a DVR2 so may well give Cyclon a shot. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #14 on: 02.10. 2016 17:11 »
I use cyclon battery no problems but you have to use it with an electronic regulator such as DVR2 no problems
Yes I agree with bikerbob. One great advantage of the cyclon battery is that all through the winter when the bike is not in use the cyclon holds it charge, and needs absolutely no attention at all. I have found the DVR2 to be an excellent piece of kit. Both items are literally "fit and forget" I should also add that to get the best out of this set up, it is definately worth also fitting the belt drive conversion kit, although this is not absolutely essentional it does deliver optimum efficiency. When I fitted the cyclon and DVR2 I also took the opportunity to go 12v so actually I had to fit two cyclons. It is a descision that I have never regretted. Initially I had one of Paul Goffs' 45 watt H4 BPF flanged lamps fitted and the system was more than able to cope. I have now converted to an all LED lamp set up, dipping LED headlamp lamp, together withe LED tail/stop lamp, and speedo and rev counter led lamps.
John