Author Topic: front brake  (Read 690 times)

Offline harley1450

• Moving Up
front brake
« on: 03.07. 2016 10:59 »
Hi everyone, i am in the middle of rebuilding a 1962 a10, and have a question regarding 8inch full width front brake, when i took it apart the shoes are flat at both ends and the brake plate has a round peg on one and the pivot is as i would expect. Surely this is wrong !!!! as i would expectthe shoes to reflect the brake plate ....cheers

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: front brake
« Reply #1 on: 03.07. 2016 11:52 »
Hi harley1450

Your thinking I think that the shoes should be as in the photo
My A10 knowledge goes to 61 so might be you set up is correct or maybe not, pretty sure someone here will know.
However to be effective a single leader brake (which is what you have) has to allow for the brake shoes have to float to a certain degree, not possible unless the pivot pin diameter is smaller than the hole in the plate so it can move and allow the brake shoes to slide back and contact all of the circumference of the drum.
Some people file the semi-circular pivot area of the shoe to make it elliptical to allow it to slide on the pin to get same result, it might be that a previous owner. changed the set up to flat pivot area to accomplish the same or a previous owner has had the same thought.
More informed members will comment I'm sure
All the best with your resto though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.07. 2016 15:09 »
Hi,
It appears that you have a set of floating shoes, a lot of pattern sets are like this
You still need to centre the shoes by loosening the pivit pin nut, applying the brake and retighten with the brake still applied

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 23.07. 2016 07:03 »
The late A10 shoes are floating which was intended to improve braking due to a self servo effect.
So its correct they don't have the locating cut aways as per the earlier shoes
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline harley1450

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 23.07. 2016 14:25 »
Thanks for that lads, think ive sorted them, time will tell. Will move on to the next problem and see what happens.  curly.