Author Topic: Drive chain lubrication  (Read 4985 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive chain lubrication
« Reply #45 on: 23.01. 2022 11:42 »
I've always assumed that the semi-solid grease melts under load and lubricates the bearing surfaces.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #46 on: 23.01. 2022 12:47 »
I've always assumed that the semi-solid grease melts under load and lubricates the bearing surfaces.
... not really, it needs heat to flow. There is very little movement in the bearing surfaces of a chain and because the chain is nearly always under tension in the top run there is a permanent load on one side of the bearing pins and no load on the other. So the bearing pins and rollers run dry where their surfaces meet because the grease doesn't flow back onto the dry surfaces. Oil is obviously much more free flowing and will find its way onto the contact surfaces more readily. The disadvantage of oil is that it will escape between the plates. The best quality chains have zero clearance between the plates (or O rings) so that they retain the oil better. If you look at the latest version of a Scottoiler, it directs the oil flow onto the plates, not the rollers, so that the oil is directed to travel into the chain's bearing surfaces. Some Scottoilers direct the oil onto the sprocket so that the centrifugal force sends the oil onto the chain, again between the plates, not onto the rollers.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #47 on: 23.01. 2022 15:44 »
Over the year I have found that chains last up to 6,000 miles, no more, regardless of how I cosset them. The one exception is the one on the B31 with its fully enclosed chaincase which just goes on and on.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #48 on: 24.01. 2022 01:47 »
Re CheeserBeezer's note,
I had not thought too much about this, but occurs to me that if you can mark the direction the chain came off and reverse it next fitting, then it might even out the wear on the pins.
Perhaps when removing the chain, tie a piece of wire through the leading end, and when refitting place it at the trailing end.??
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #49 on: 24.01. 2022 09:47 »
... not really, it needs heat to flow. There is very little movement in the bearing surfaces of a chain and because the chain is nearly always under tension in the top run there is a permanent load on one side of the bearing pins and no load on the other. So the bearing pins and rollers run dry where their surfaces meet because the grease doesn't flow back onto the dry surfaces. Oil is obviously much more free flowing and will find its way onto the contact surfaces more readily. The disadvantage of oil is that it will escape between the plates. The best quality chains have zero clearance between the plates (or O rings) so that they retain the oil better. If you look at the latest version of a Scottoiler, it directs the oil flow onto the plates, not the rollers, so that the oil is directed to travel into the chain's bearing surfaces. Some Scottoilers direct the oil onto the sprocket so that the centrifugal force sends the oil onto the chain, again between the plates, not onto the rollers.

That will depend upon how amy times you engine brake
Linklife melts at chain running temperatures and will flow out from under the rollers to side plates & build up a little mound of grease on the rear sprocket .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 24.01. 2022 12:51 »
Re CheeserBeezer's note,
I had not thought too much about this, but occurs to me that if you can mark the direction the chain came off and reverse it next fitting, then it might even out the wear on the pins.
Perhaps when removing the chain, tie a piece of wire through the leading end, and when refitting place it at the trailing end.??
Col

The only way to wear the other sides of the pins is to put the chain under longitudinal compression instead of tension.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 24.01. 2022 12:54 »

That will depend upon how amy times you engine brake

Engine braking puts a tension stress on the chain, the same as engine acceleration does.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #52 on: 24.01. 2022 13:52 »
i love engine braking, a big grab of the twist grip as i go down the box ooooooo it's orgasmic , and on that note i am off to the pub because it's to blooming cold in my shed *beer*

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #53 on: 24.01. 2022 20:59 »
TT, Yes of course you are correct. In all ways, the chain is always under tension.
Back to the drawing board. Berger I bet you cannot wait to ride the Berger. *dribble*
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia