Author Topic: 1962 super rocket decals  (Read 630 times)

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
1962 super rocket decals
« on: 16.07. 2016 14:10 »
hi
I am painting my oil tank and tool box and rear licence plate bracket
can anyone tell me what decals are supposed to go on and where  exactly they go cant seem to find any measurements
thanks
Sean

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1962 super rocket decals
« Reply #1 on: 16.07. 2016 14:29 »
 Hi Sean,

I dont think there was much measuring and documenting going on at BSA. Nobody knows the exact size or placement of the chrome panels on the fuel tanks, I doubt anyone is going to know within a nats whisker where every decal goes.

I envision 3 shifts of people, all doing it slightly differently. Sort of like everyone using their own index finger as a measuring stick.

I would search through the site looking for original advertising, old pictures or anything you can find that shows the decals.

Put your decals on, flow coat them with clear. Nobody will be able to tell you that they are not in exactly the right place.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2016 15:21 »
I dont think there was much measuring and documenting going on at BSA. Nobody knows the exact size or placement of the chrome panels on the fuel tanks, I doubt anyone is going to know within a nats whisker where every decal goes.

Could you be searching for he word - bespoke  ;)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 16.07. 2016 16:30 »
doesnt seem to be a lot of information when it comes to painting and detailing ....gave up try to find a measurement for the painted panels on the tank got the tank back from the platers and think I will leave it all chrome for now , seems a shame to sand all the expensive chrome down for paint

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.07. 2016 17:09 »
 I know what you mean Sean,

My tank is exactly as your is, fresh chrome. The only thing is my chromer did not care about polishing the copper dead flat around the fill hole. I can see slight low spots and whatnot around there.

I have a friend investigating a new primer, it does not appear to be on the general market yet (I have looked). supposedly you can paint this onto freshly cleaned glass, and cannot power wash it off. The company is trying to come up with a "no sanding/ grinding" prep for chrome. Chrome is not in style right now in our custom car world, and everyone is trying to find a way to cover their chrome in very expensive paints (flip/flops, chameleons, huge metalics are coming back). This company sent him some samples, he is going to try it on some old bumpers he has laying around. If it works thats how I will prep my tank. I will let you know if its any good or not.

A solid chrome tank does look awfully nice in the mean time....

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 16.07. 2016 17:44 »
600.00 to chrome the tank  dont want to paint it just yet .....Tamco paints is in the USA try. them ......the old 70s paint jobs seem to making a come back in the custom paint world

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.07. 2016 00:27 »

I was amused.... *smile*

« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2016 15:21 »

Could you be searching for he word - bespoke  

....Having just read;-

Re: ordering from lightening spares
« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2016 19:06 »

Quote from: coater87 on 16.07. 2016 14:57
I want some nice stainless bits...

Why don't you contact these guys:
http://www.cpcengineering.co.uk
,  I had a quick look at their site, and the intro is;
Welcome to CPC Engineering
Our Services
At CPC we are proud to offer a one-of-a-kind, UK-based, manufacturing service. We manufacture a wide range of Classic Motorcycle parts and we can also offer you a bespoke manufacturing service tailored to your individual needs.

..... Is that kinda an example of 'bespoke'...?  *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.07. 2016 09:21 »
Is that kinda an example of 'bespoke'...?  *smile*

Ha - yes, I was sarcastically meaning no two the same - but more usually a term used in the making of men's suit meaning made to measure, I remember my parents getting me measured for a suit (complete with waistcoat) when I as a teenager setting out on the weekend rounds of dance halls, these days all you need is a pair of work jeans with the knees poking out. (which nevertheless cost more than a suit)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco