Author Topic: Oxford Heated Grips  (Read 228 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Oxford Heated Grips
« on: 17.07. 2016 15:01 »
I have just got a new bike with the said heated grips. There is an Intelligent Heat Controller fitted to the h/bars, but no on-off switch. Am I missing something ? Came with no paperwork ?

Thanks.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oxford Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2016 11:03 »
I have some (Oxfords) fitted on my Veefer, but suspect they might be an earlier type – as in I’m not even sure what an intelligent heat controller is? The controller is zip tied on to the bars and you just turn the knob for hotter/cooler. Press the knob for on off – there is a tiny red LED to indicate that. So I guess on mine the only intelligence comes from me … so not much then.

As an aside, I find the grips rather hard. OK in winter but not so comfortable with thin summer gloves. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2016 13:31 »
I don't ride when it's really cold (less than 50 deg F.), so I have a question. Are heated grips really necessary when you are already wearing gloves appropriate for the weather? (I was going to say "season" instead of "weather", but having just witnessed Troon go through three or four seasons in two days, it didn't really fit.) Won't your knuckles and the backs of your hands still be cold?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.07. 2016 14:18 »
My hands are mildly arthritic, probably due to previous extensive winter riding in inadequate clothing (mankini?). On all my longer haul 12v bikes I have both hand guards (which keeps your paws out of the air stream) and hot grips. I think they are one of those things that once you have become used to them they become an essential item. I’m sure heated gloves would be better for the reasons you state, but I’m not going to go to the effort of wiring myself in - maybe when they do Bluetooth gloves? I even use them on cooler early morning summer ride outs.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza