Author Topic: SRM oil pump  (Read 5875 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM oil pump
« Reply #15 on: 23.07. 2016 22:42 »
S.R.M. Do not recommend fitting an additional oil filter, period. The bike should also be run on straight oil and not multigrade, the engine was designed that way.

just in an argumentative mood so I would strongly advise against the use of any crank end oil feed, the engine was not designed that way

*lol* *lol*

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 23.07. 2016 23:59 »
You have  a point there Mike..  OTOH    the filter sitting full if situated  at a reasonable height will give quicker delivery to the rockers perhaps . I moved mine from the toolbox to up under the seat ☺
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #17 on: 24.07. 2016 00:03 »
Richard is correct, attached are the installation instructions, see lines 2 and 3.
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 24.07. 2016 00:56 »
hi guys, these are the instructions that I got with the pump. Cant really see the problems that could occur by fitting a filter with the S.R.M. pump as the original pumps seem to work o.k. with them. I am prepared to make my own decision on the issue after reading all the opinions and willing to take the consequences if things go wrong, cheers   
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline polly

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 24.07. 2016 01:10 »
As per marketing of any product you test ,certainly if you giving an implied warranty .

Not recommended just releases liability of your product to any modification outside of your testing regime.
That doesnt  mean it wont work or is wrong,  it means As a manufacturer i wont be held responsible. 

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 24.07. 2016 01:34 »
 In the end it is just an oil pump, does the same thing as a stock pump - it pumps oil. Just because its blue and has SRM stamped on it does not change what it does.

I was surprised to see it came with cheesy allen head bolts instead of some nice new studs and nuts. I suppose its easier to slap a pump in with the allens.

I will fit the new pump with studs, so I am sure that will void the warranty. And a decent filter, so its a double whammy to the warranty. *bash*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 24.07. 2016 02:39 »
and the allen head bolts were stainless - i would have thought neither necessary or desirable inside an engine. studs would be better but i didn't bother
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #22 on: 24.07. 2016 10:30 »
What i can conclude from the instructions is that they only advise against fitting any obstruction in the feed line as it says; "The pump demands more oil from the oil tank, and any restriction in the flow will end in disaster"
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see any advise against fitting a filter in the return line?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 24.07. 2016 10:59 »
What i can conclude from the instructions is that they only advise against fitting any obstruction in the feed line as it says; "The pump demands more oil from the oil tank, and any restriction in the flow will end in disaster"
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see any advise against fitting a filter in the return line?

It says oil lines, not just feed line.

It also says "will be end in disaster," which may have been written by a pirate.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 24.07. 2016 11:33 »
Finally, if BSA was so concerned about using straight (single-grade) oils, how would that explain what is seen stamped into the top of the oil can in the attached pictures?  (That can is a prized possession.)
Richard, exactly! Metalflake11, you might find this to be an interesting read  http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html  Well actually so might everyone else.
John

Thanks for that A10, it is indeed an interesting read......It really is a 'pays yer money, takes your choice' situation.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 24.07. 2016 11:39 »
S.R.M. Do not recommend fitting an additional oil filter, period. The bike should also be run on straight oil and not multigrade, the engine was designed that way.

just in an argumentative mood so I would strongly advise against the use of any crank end oil feed, the engine was not designed that way

OK, I'll rise to the bait!

Isn't an end feed conversion the brainchild of the B.S.A. race department? If so, they did design A10 engines that way. The name Les Mason rings a bell here.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 24.07. 2016 12:00 »
Isn't an end feed conversion the brainchild of the B.S.A. race department?

so it's a modification, therefore the engine was not designed that way  *fight*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 24.07. 2016 12:32 »
Didn't plunger A10s have a felt filter on the return, in the oil tank? 

That might mean they were designed that way too.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #28 on: 24.07. 2016 12:51 »
Isn't an end feed conversion the brainchild of the B.S.A. race department?

so it's a modification, therefore the engine was not designed that way  *fight*

True!......Telescopic forks are a modification of girder forks, Rear shock absorbers are a modification of plungers, which in turn is a modification of rigids. You need to get back the flat tankers with belt drives, hand gearchanges and solid tyres etc etc.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 24.07. 2016 13:51 »
OK , but  if I take your point all engines should come with a shovel and bucket of coal AND you realise we are all modified monkeys *shh* *smile*
All the best - Bill