Author Topic: Fuel tank painting and lining  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Fuel tank painting and lining
« Reply #15 on: 01.08. 2016 06:25 »
Rocket Racer, that tank is definitely a thing of beauty....I had mine done years ago but have yet to add the pinstriping (didn't want to stuff it up !), so I'm very interested in your thoughts/suggestions on pinstriping "ease of use" please.....

Jules,
sorry I didnt see your response.
I just use humble pinstriping tape, its cheap and easy to use although be warned its easy to end up with a pinstriped helmet and car as a result of buying some.
The single stripe tape is much easier to use around corners but the double row can do corners with a bit of practice as the backing can be removed so the lengths of each row are slightly different.
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #16 on: 01.08. 2016 11:35 »
thanks Tim, sooooooooooooo once you have the tape on what do you use/do to keep it there ie seal/varnish or????over it?? Otherwise doesn't it have an "edge" standing up that catches as you wipe across it??
thanks

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 01.08. 2016 13:05 »
Nice job there!

The only thing I dont like about my chrome guy is his pricing method. I guess it depends on the day and his mood. Tuesday its 250.00, but Friday its $520.00. No rhyme or reason to it, and everyone who uses this guy knows it. He is very, very good though so you just tank your chances on his current mood. *eek*

Lee
paid $600.00 cdn to have my A10 tank triple plated  in Canada almost worth investing in an alloy tank .......chrome prices are crazy now
I am using caswell tank sealer on the inside and plan on draining the tank when I put the bike away for winter
wont let me post a pic of the tank says the file is too big

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 01.08. 2016 22:05 »
thanks Tim, sooooooooooooo once you have the tape on what do you use/do to keep it there ie seal/varnish or????over it?? Otherwise doesn't it have an "edge" standing up that catches as you wipe across it??
thanks

The tape on my B33 I put on in 1985 and its only where the tanks been subsequently welded where its been destroyed (as was the paint).
I tape pinlined for fun my rocket three tank before I stripped off the black paint. When it came to getting the paint and tape off, the tape wouldnt come off easily and came off in slithers with a razor blade. Couldnt just get an end and pull.
So for the A10 or B33 the tape seals the edge of the paint tidily and can be washed/waxed across. Its surprisingly robust. If you don't get it right alignment wise take it off pronto because it is remarkably tough.

I've pondered paint pinlining but tape is too easy and works within my budget.
I'll be using it assuming I paint my rocket 3 tank  *doubt* its so shiny!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 01.08. 2016 22:18 »
thanks
use. 3M fineline tape you can clear coat over it available at autobody supply shops it comes in single or double lines and different colours ...

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 01.08. 2016 22:32 »
The tape on my B33 I put on in 1985
so, RR, if your B33 has pinstripes why isn't it faster??  ;)

tho seriously, John maybe check the threads about the perils of tank linings before going there. there is no going back. i derusted my A10 tank with electrolysis and its was both mad-scientist-type of good fun and successful, especially with an inline filter.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 01.08. 2016 23:32 »
The tape on my B33 I put on in 1985
so, RR, if your B33 has pinstripes why isn't it faster??  ;)

tho seriously, John maybe check the threads about the perils of tank linings before going there. there is no going back. i derusted my A10 tank with electrolysis and its was both mad-scientist-type of good fun and successful, especially with an inline filter.

Now Mike you know that a B33 can be so fast sometimes the batteries come off from the sheer G forces (or because it wasnt bolted on properly  *shh*) or was that from the wobbling from the plungers  *dunno* But my 33 is fast enough for me, when I'm not on my methanol racer or the rocket 3...

I've had a couple of conversations with people recently about tank lining (in the wake of routine leaks on the very brittle B33 tank) and a common theme is drying them thoroughly (hair dryer!) after cleaning before application and adding the stuff to a warm tank  *doh*.
I had a PQR lining flake off (admittedly with methanol although it was supposed to cater for alcohols).
I'm currently just trialing PA10 as my liner in three tanks! Some people swear by...I have no opinion yet, but will no doubt have one given time.
New Zealand

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 01.08. 2016 23:41 »
sometimes we have no option I am going to use caswell tank liner I think the key is proper prep before adding the liner and giving it  time to dry

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 01.08. 2016 23:47 »
Some of the creases in tanks are a bugger to dry out.
And I've just done mine in the middle of a wet and cold winter albeit having borrowed my daughters hair dryer having concluded a heat gun was a bit ott.
But the B33 tank having only one tap was very difficult to get dry.
The oven was a bit too small  *sad2*
If my current exercise fails, I'd say probably due to poor preparation (drying)
New Zealand

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 02.08. 2016 01:35 »
a B33 can be so fast sometimes the batteries come off...
well Tim electrics are optional on a B33, as we know...

and yes to the sometimes necessity of tank linings, and sometimes its not necessary with no option of removing it. there is debate: I wish my B33 wasn't lined. John didn't comment on his tank's internal condition (and sadly may have left this thread with these off topic in-jokes  *sad2*)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 02.08. 2016 01:54 »
With my more recently plated tanks, the lining is primarily to reduce rust and future leaks are a secondary concern.
But with my ZB33 tank that has had so many vibration failures (not being centre mounted) I'm mainly concerned with keeping fuel in.
For the ZB33 tank we've also added an underside front brace as per the later tanks to try and reduce the flex in the tank when full.
As some of the most recent leaks were not in joins but the tank steel had growing cracks radiating away from the seams, it does appear this tank has got brittle. I been riding this bike for 30 odd years and its done a lot of work, so I guess sooner or later a part will cry enough *cry*.
However for the centre mounted swing arm type tanks hopefully the reduced stress will mean these tanks  will be more robust.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 02.08. 2016 08:58 »
When I needed to thoroughly dry my tank prior to applying POR liner I had the brainwave of sticking a vacuum cleaner nozzle in the filler hole, sealing it with rag. When the Henry was turned on air came in through the tap holes. I did this in a clean place to avoid sucking dirt into the tank. Left it running for 30 minutes or so, rotating the tank a few times to make sure no pools survived.

I found a local signwriter to paint gold lines around the chrome side panels. They are not too narrow; probably about 5mm. I am happy with them.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 02.08. 2016 11:10 »
Eeek! I see some come confusion here between 'lining' as in pinstriping, and 'liners' as in tank liners. Different animals!

Personally? -I just cringe when I hear of all these newbies pouring so-called 'liner' into their tanks almost routinely. Just 'cos they 'think' it's a good plan.
They need to know this: sooner or later that chemical you poured in WILL delaminate from the metal, And when it does, you'll be in more trouble than the early settlers (to coin a phrase). When it peels away from the inside you (or the next 'keeper') will have major problems stripping it out.

If loose rust is the problem with your tank, fit a fuel filter. If the tank is leaking, get a good welder to braze or weld it. Only as a last resort resort to the chemical tank liners.

Pinstriping:
I have a set of beautiful 'lining' brushes that came to me via my departed father-in-law who did signwriting for Carlton United Breweries in Melbourne, (ironically he was a tetotaller!)

I know it would take me a week of practice at least before I could get a pinstripe right, (even after a lifetime of painting/designing as a graphic artist). I could do that, but I've used pinstriping tape in the past, and it's SO easy. 2K Clearcoat over the top. Too easy.

The ol' bastard also left me lots of 'real' gold-leaf. Applying that is a real lost art, - it's real gold in sheets about 3" square that seem to be a micron in thickness! My Velocette might quite like it applied on the four and one quarter. Ol' Vic Bognor might turn in his grave... but his gold lining on the black enamelled tank he did is still very beautiful!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 02.08. 2016 11:40 »

Nice to hear all that Jools, never was a CUB sucker, but I do like Abbots Double Stout (or was that Abbots Invalid Stout?)-nonetheless, the place has gone to crap with the latest goings on  *conf*...

The ol' bastard also left me lots of 'real' gold-leaf. Applying that is a real lost art, - it's real gold in sheets about 3" square that seem to be a micron in thickness! My Velocette might quite like it applied on the four and one quarter. Ol' Vic Bognor might turn in his grave... but his gold lining on the black enamelled tank he did is still very beautiful!

that stuff'd have to worth GOLD these days *eek*..
eeer, pinstripes? *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia