Author Topic: rocker feed oil line  (Read 880 times)

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
rocker feed oil line
« on: 14.08. 2016 03:38 »
hello, I was running my 62 a10 in the shop today after repairing a couple of transmission leaks when out of the blue the rubber line for the rockers blew off at the oil tank and obviously blew oil all over the engine.  I did take the bolts out of the head at the pipe and oil poured out, so obviously it was oiling there. The line I used was small rubber line with a light pinch clamp. I did tighten the clamp and ran it again with no problem, but curious why it did that and not before. I did check to make sure it was still returning into the oil tank and it was. Good thing I wasn't going down the road. Maybe just a coincidence, hopefully it wont happen again, didn't know if anyone has had this happen?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocker feed oil line
« Reply #1 on: 14.08. 2016 04:15 »

Sounds like a first *eek*. I reckon that's fairly unusual,  sounds like pressure buildup somewhere, but if it's returning to the tank should relieve it.  Maybe check the holes in the banjo bolts aren't blocked... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.08. 2016 07:52 »
Pat,

When you say "blew" off, do you mean that you saw it blow off the tube nipple with some forceful pressure or that you just discovered it was off? If the latter, perhaps you jostled or bumped it while working on the gearbox. If you saw it blow off (or even if you didn't see it), do a check for blockage in the tube, in the rocker-feed banjo and, as Dutch mentions, at the side holes in the banjo bolts.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.08. 2016 09:43 »
 Don't think many people use any clips on there, make sure the rubber tube covers a good amount of each pipe (2" - 3" each end)  and is a good fit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.08. 2016 10:27 »
When I was a teenager I had an Aerial Huntmaster, (pretty much an A10 engine) with a sidecar chassis. One night the rocker feed pipe became detached at the rubber connector while I was riding, (read that as merciless thrashing!). The bike ground to a stop amid a stench of burnt oil and a cloud of smoke. There was a slick of oil on the road indicating my route. My right shoe looked like black patent leather. The pistons had seized and melted. After a cool off and an oil top up the engine was still able to run, (roughly); I think I must have managed to ride home because I don't remember getting a tow. Pieces of piston ring were blowing out of the exhaust pipes. Such fun!  *sad*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.08. 2016 10:42 »
Pieces of piston ring were blowing out of the exhaust pipes.

would help with the diagnosis  ;)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 14.08. 2016 13:26 »
Richard, I did watch it blow off. I was on the right side of the bike with it on the stand when it happened. I'll double check things today and see what happens. thanks for the replies.

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 27.08. 2016 14:41 »
ended up the return tube in the oil tank had a piece of trash halfway blocking the hole off. Cleaned out and has been fine since.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.08. 2016 17:11 »
well found, possible the rocker feed blowing off saved you a lot more hassle in the near future   *eek*
All the best - Bill

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 27.08. 2016 23:06 »
you working for NASA Pat? no rocket science with these motors.

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 28.08. 2016 12:56 »
I'm sorry I'm not as smart as you Ed.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 28.08. 2016 15:47 »
oh i ve made some right clangers pat . forgetting whether i ve tightened the conrod bolts is a good one once the engine is assembled. after what happened with you its probably a good idea to clean out and blow out the oil tank lines at an oil change as large pieces of grit will not come up the return via the oil pump but be in the oil tank.