Author Topic: BSA Police Bike's  (Read 3288 times)

Richard

BSA Police Bike's
« on: 15.05. 2009 19:59 »
Can anyone tell me if the Police ever used a plunger A10 if so has anyone got a photo of one?
Thanks
Richard

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: BSA Police Bike's
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2009 20:11 »
Certainly did! Page 92 in the Roy Bacon book of BSA Twin Restorations show a nice picture of two Bobbies and two CID (criminal Investigation Department) chaps using a two way radio instalation.

Also page 117 of same book shows the Johannesburg Traffic Department in 1951.

Picture below is a scan from some other book that I cant recall, but is of the Nottinghamshire force I'm sure other forces used the A10 as well.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Richard

« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2009 20:49 »
Thanks
Laurence I have looked at the bacon book but page 117 is a swinging arm model.The other photo is ok but I need to know if the radio was on the tank and what was on the back also wether it had a siren or flashing light which I do not think they had in the fifteys, the reason for this info is that I wish to make bits up out of wood or polystirene to make my 1954 flash look like a police bike for a show, I have an old handlebar fairing which i can spray black and an ariel whip as well as a "Police" sticker in black and red.
I have a really good picture of the heartbeat swinging arm A10 and wondered if the plunger had the same sort of equipment on it including the police stop box on the back.
I will be up your way after the 22nd staying at Hawes or Grassington for a week after dropping mother of at Glasson Dock near Preston,alas in the motor home and no bike.
Richard

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.11. 2017 11:30 »
I think I can see a car type dynamo mounted in front of the engine

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 27.11. 2017 16:26 »
I think I can see a car type dynamo mounted in front of the engine
Yes, you most definitely can.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.11. 2017 17:26 »
Hi All,
It looks like the car type dynamo is driven by belt from a shaft through where the original dynamo was

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
« Reply #6 on: 27.11. 2017 18:26 »
Here's a few more cop-sicle A plungers

Scotty
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 27.11. 2017 18:56 »
And this from the 1957 BSA catalogue.

POM is a 1954 Birmingham plate.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 27.11. 2017 19:32 »
We even had'em down here.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 27.11. 2017 22:43 »
Great pictures!   My father in law is a retired police officer and detective (Quite a career) and while never a motorcycle patrol officer he knew many who were.  He has some great stories about that and how new bikes were broke in during the 1960s and 1970s as well as what was expected of a Patrol officer.
Their dept used Harleys and the end came when a friend of his had the transmission lock up on a cursed section of a local freeway known for traffic problems.  The officer was badly injured and ended his career.
Pat told me a std tool kit on the bikes was a length of tow rope, rarely needed for others but was useful when the bike broke down to pull it to a safe place for the tow truck.

I go on occasion to help MADD here locally as they gave me a great deal of assistance when I was ran over by a drunk driver.  One of the events is a regional Police bike rodeo competition.  Meant to highlight skills and training they compete in a variety of events showing off maneuvers and skills.  Quite impressive, but its amazing to me how BIG modern Police bikes tend to be.  Most are BMW, But I have seen Kawasaki and some Harleys, and the local MotoGuzzi dealer also attends as some depts ride them as well.  There is riders and teams from all over Canada, and Western US that attend.

Distracted driving is a real problem and I met one officer who has been hit 2x by drunk and distracted drivers. We compared stories but while mine was bad, his were worse in many ways. He had half his face ripped off during one accident. The surgeons did a great job on him, He still rides, but several other officers locally have been badly mauled in the last couple years.    While these old BSA Police bikes are very cool, it must have been a real adventure doing police work while riding them.

Here is a schedule for 2017 for US events, and there is a ton of youtube videos,
See: http://www.setcomcorp.com/police-motorcycle-training-rodeo-competition-calendar-2017.html

This is the North American Motor officers page, the next western Regionals are next May in 2018 near me in Hillsboro Oregon.
See: http://namoa.org/

Photos and videos on the website.

In a only partially related tangent, here is another tale. I bought a few years back a Harley factory sidecar setup that was formerly owned by the Mexican Federales.  Details on prev history were murky but I got it from some outlaw 1% types and allegedly was used by Hells Angels in NorCal for years.  I can only imagine what might have transpired.  I finally sold it on, and wrote some inventive tales about how it might have arrived here in the US riffing off the "Dusk Till Dawn" vampire movie and an alternative to the "Hangover" movie.   What I DO know is that people from South America or Mexicans did not react positively to the sidecar.  In fact I had more than one incident where near accidents occurred.  (Both were landscaper crews driving in trucks with trailers). Despite being in the NW, I would have thought they would have been amused, but nope.  You would have thought it was satan himself. VERY STRONG reactions,

I still have the translations, but I asked a friend in Chile to translate some slogans I had intended to have pinstriped/written on it.  Because of the reactions to the sidecar I decided not too.   
One was "Snitches gonna need stitches" but it does not translate well,  Another is "Gold or Lead" and refers to a saying from Pablo Escobar and means take the bribe or get shot.  Thomas suggested another which he said would make people laugh but if I ever crossed the border with it would get me hurt of killed.,, But it basically said in Spanish " Senor, you can pay me here and now or we go to the station and you pay EVERYONE". 

Here is a picture of the logo on the front,, When I sold it I made the new owner promise to not paint it over.
A real piece of history. (I almost closed a deal with a bar owner who was going to purchase it for his tavern until his wife intervened)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2017 09:08 »
A bit more from 1957 catalogue.

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 28.11. 2017 09:36 »
Musky,
Are you sure the coppers in the first picture are from Queensland?
They almost look human.
Ones actually smiling.
cheers

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 28.11. 2017 10:16 »
Musky,
They almost look human.
Ones actually smiling.
cheers

Nah, that's just wind.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.11. 2017 13:37 »
Musky,
They almost look human.
Ones actually smiling.
cheers

The colonials typically do seem to look happier.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Best Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #14 on: 29.11. 2017 07:04 »
Colder Climes

'54 GF,  '61 SR,  '71 B50MX