Author Topic: A10 fork leg / slider identification  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
A10 fork leg / slider identification
« on: 17.08. 2016 12:42 »
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my RH fork slider. I rebuilt the forks with new stanchions, seals, bushes etc and had a lovely powder coating job done on my sliders.
After filling with oil I had a small weep (no not just because of the price of the build so far) of fork oil from the lower RH side.  I thought it was the drain screws so got new ones and seals, fitted it all together again, refilled and hey presto - still leaking.  It looks like it's coming from the spindle clam pmounting bolt.  On removing this I suspect a bolf has been too far in at some point and broken through into the inside of the slider - Grrr.
If I could just find a replacement slider I'd swap it out as I suspect it'd be a very tricky repair (sealing up the bottom of a tapped hole!).
I'm struggling to identify the slider.  I will stick up a picture once it's off the bike but does this help identify?
Standard stanchion, seals and bushes as per all the A10 tele forks
has 8" FW alloy hub SLS
Brake plate locating lug (no brace arm)
bottom cup clamp with 2 bolts up into the slider
mudgaurd mount is a bracket going back to the engine side with 2 holes
and mudguard mounts to the bottom of the fork with a lug front and back fore and aft of the (plain) spindle

To all intents and purposes it looks externally very similar to a 97-2504 (A65 unit) which is the closest I can see from looking at images - at least in terms of lugs and brackets.  It may well be different sizes and lengths as I have no measurements to compare.
Any suggestions welcome.
Also I'll probably take it off soon - where will the part number be stamped - to save me getting the whole thing blasted?

I've not gone by year or specific model because I've I've not come across 2 things from the same bike yet (it's a bitsa).

Thanks in advance
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: A10 fork leg / slider identification
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2016 15:36 »
Hi Raymond,  Nicely described.  It appears to be the R/H fork slider that was fitted to 1958 and 1959 A7/A10/B31 & B33 models. The part number I have is 42-5076 taken from the B group alternator models parts book for those years.

However, try cleaning out any excess oil then apply a bit of silicon sealant to the threads of the offending bolt.  Then fit the bolt and leave to set overnight before refilling with oil.  No guarantee that it will work but it must be worth a try!!

Beezageezauk

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 17.08. 2016 16:36 »
Thanks Beezageeza,
Funny you should say that - I'd got to the point where I thought - this is going to be a tricky fix or a replacement - I decided to give what you suggest a try.  My thinking - is it's not a great perminent fix but maybe keep be going forward on the build while I try to source a new leg.
I used a loctite jointing product that I swear by (black and starts with a 6 I think) - it's the equivelent of Hondabond and has got me out of a spot or two in the past.  Cleaned it to death last night, applied the gubbins and will leave it till tomorrow to fill with oil - I have the night off the A10 tonight as I promised to balance my old dad's carbs - don't know what he's doing running about on a bandit 12 at his age for  *eek*
Nothing ventured nothing gained!
In the meantime, I'll check out that part number you so kindly supplied (corresponds with one of the 3 numbers I got as options on Draganfly) and see what the availabilty is like.  This is where big auto jumbles come in.

Cheers Raymond.
Scotland

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 17.08. 2016 22:02 »
While my thread's high on the list - does a none by any chance have a 42-5076 fork slider as above?
Old new or needing work (as long as it doesn't leak)
If you don't ask you don't get.
Can do transfer, PayPal (friends and family) whatever - just message me.
Cheers raymond
Scotland

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 18.08. 2016 22:21 »
Well, sealing the offending bolt hole didn't work
Back to looking for a replacement slider
Part 42-5076
As described above.
Any pointers or tips on where to get one please let me know - or if you have one tucked away?
Cheers raymond
Scotland

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.08. 2016 00:07 »
Raymond, just something to bear in mind re: you finding a replacement slider. I bought a few pairs some years ago when I built my bike, but it was hard to find any that didn't have 'belling-out' wear of the tubing around where the lower bush slides, (you might need a good torch to see it), - it makes for lousy clunky forks.
Hope you find something.

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2016 22:46 »
Thanks for the heads up - nobody wants to end up with a 'belled end'.
Given that advice a new item has been ordered - should be here in about a week or so.
Thanks for the help guys.
Raymond.
Scotland

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #7 on: 21.08. 2016 05:45 »
Hi Raymond, I'm really surprised that you seem to have sourced a replacement stanchion, is that right? There have been a no. of posts in here with belled out/rusted/corroded stanchions (mine included!) and nobody has ever suggested that you can get a new replacement before.............did I read things correctly?? cheers

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.08. 2016 06:37 »
I think Raymond is referring to getting a slider not the stanchion.
(But that's even more surprising that Raymond has actually found a newie slider!)

It's not the stanchion that 'bells-out' (I can't think of a better term for it), the stanchion just wears and rusts. It's the slider... the lower part of the fork in which the lower bush slides. The lower bush (that's mounted on the bottom section of the stanchion sits in almost the same position within the slider as you ride, depending on your weight and the spring strength, and the vibrations and slight movement up and down with road surface undulations etc, results in the bush wearing away this section of the inside diameter of the slider, and it seems to me that over time, it actually stretches the slider tube I.D. (Belling it out). Some older forks you can see on the outside of the slider that they are 'belled-out' or expanded slightly.

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 21.08. 2016 10:09 »
Jules and Jools,
It was the slider we're talking about, I suspect a slip of the tongue somewhere in the thread - slider RH 42-5076
Yup spent 30 minutes googling rather than phoning round breakers etc (and it was 10 pm on a Friday night).
Found an NOS item with a picture (for verification) in the states - Rabers.  Couldn't possibly have had better service. I mailed a question about postage and got a reply within 15 mins, had it ordered paid within 5 mins and had confirmation of dispatch with a UPS tracker on Saturday morning!
Didn't feel like it to me at the time - but sounds like I've been a lucky boy and didn't realise it 😀
Scotland

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.08. 2016 10:28 »
Mate that's BRILLIANT! you lucky bugga! Good on you.
(But whats more to the point you've been able to get the right one. There are at least 3 versions of the sliders, with variations in brakeplate 'stops' and mudguard bolt positions).
 *wink2*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.08. 2016 10:35 »
Sam get down the shops and buy a lottery ticket
BTW did you take the moniker from  Slippery Sam the triple racer
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #12 on: 21.08. 2016 10:41 »
bloody hell, lucky doesn't half cover it I reckon !! Well done indeed Raymond, persistence paid off..... cheers

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 23.08. 2016 10:38 »
Sam get down the shops and buy a lottery ticket
BTW did you take the moniker from  Slippery Sam the triple racer

Yip - had a poster or picture up on a wall somewhere for the last 40 years :-)
Maybe my next project???  I was put off this time (first restoration) by the potential cost - but have been gobsmacked at the A10 costs so far - so maybe not that much more of a stretch for the next project :-)

Cheers Raymond.
Scotland

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.08. 2016 12:57 »
Mmm, we have a few Slippery Sam replicas that run around Philip Island at the classic races. They sound SO nice, but the main impression is that they (unlike the big fat road triples) look so small, compact, and light. A weapon I reckon. Tasty.