Author Topic: idle speed  (Read 1466 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
idle speed
« on: 30.08. 2016 11:01 »
just as a matter of interest, what is the correct idle/tickover speed for an A10? I have mine set at 1000 rpm when at normal running temperature. Is that about right?
John

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: idle speed
« Reply #1 on: 01.09. 2016 01:58 »
Recently getting my super rocket going, I certainly found 1000rpm a good solid benchmark, the owners handbook mentions the best setting may vary slightly to suit riders requirements or particular localities.
Certainly unlike a beesa preunit single which will happily idle at close to no rpm a twin needs some idle engine speed to keep oil pressure to its mains, so don't be tempted to drop it down too far just because you can!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J2R2pnP60Q
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 01.09. 2016 13:25 »
I agree, don't try to make it sound like an 8 stroking HD. Both mine are happy at 900-950.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 01.09. 2016 14:14 »
All HD 's sound like that to me !! *whistle* *lol*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 04.09. 2016 06:13 »
I was just reading that the "new" norton twins idle at 1300rpm!  so 900-1000 can't be far off.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 04.09. 2016 13:43 »
I was just reading that the "new" norton twins idle at 1300rpm!  so 900-1000 can't be far off.
First of all, thank you all for your comments. The reason I asked about the idle speed is because 1000 rpm sometimes seems a bit slow. I was not aware of the possible lack of lubrication at slow idle speeds, so that is useful to know. What I was concerned about was the possibility of the engine cutting out while idling. I do have a good steady reliable idle, but you never know! There is no direct comparison comparison but a few years ago I had a Mini that was fitted with an Oselli 1400 engine and the recomended idle speed ( by Oselli) was 1300 rpm. Those of you that are familiar with Minis will be aware that the Oselli  was pretty trick engine. I think that the specification of the engine that I had was drawn up by Clive Trickey (a well known Mini go faster guru). What I can say is that it was certainly quick. If any attempt was made to reduce the idle speed it ran very lumpily. All to do with the cam form, timing, and big carburettors so I was told. Nothing like an A10. I just do not want the engine stalling when I am the head of the que at a set off traffic lights. You all know what a faff that is, and it is the one time in my experience when the engine is guaranteed not to re-start easily or quickly.
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.09. 2016 20:25 »

I think the Haynes rule of thumb, maybe for the Gutzzi, is remove one plug lead and set the idle so the other side doesn't stall, and then repeat for the other side( and hope it's the same) adjust up if necessary.
 Having said that, some say it's not advisable to run a maggie with HT lead disconnected.

When my Plunger GF/R is at idle, with the high flow cast iron oil pump there's still a decent steady flow of oil returning.

If stuck at standstill for too long, just give it a brief-slow squirt occasionally
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.09. 2016 10:14 »
When my Plunger GF/R is at idle, with the high flow cast iron oil pump there's still a decent steady flow of oil returning.
Mine too; got the same pump*.

* Not meaning we are sharing an oil pump. That would be very awkward!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash