Author Topic: Rocker oil feed  (Read 3301 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rocker oil feed
« Reply #15 on: 04.09. 2016 11:25 »
No tee on my rocker oil supply line Bill. Feed comes up from the return line 'tap', up to the rear rocker spindle, then goes from there to the exhaust spindle.
I don't guarantee my setup is original but...

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 04.09. 2016 12:49 »

Feed comes up from the return line 'tap', up to the rear rocker spindle, then goes from there to the exhaust spindle.

I've a feeling that's an early type setup..? reasonably valid logic *dunno*   Was what I was envisioning as I read it, until Bill chimed in and I realised mine is a 'Tee' also *whistle*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.09. 2016 16:20 »
No tee on my rocker oil supply line Bill.

in which case good thinking as duTch say's, not sure it's original but I haven't got knowledge of all variants made, probable a made up pipe but pretty sure some one will know
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 05.09. 2016 13:39 »
I'm sure I remember reading that the inlet side (rearward) oil feed hole was smaller than the exhaust (front) one, because otherwise the 'first' outlet would get too much oil and the second would not get enough because of less pressure. In other words, to encourage equal amount of oil into both spindles.

One Large one Small  -  Think this is a Goldstar single thing - I believe for hotter exhaust side.  I bought a couple of goldstar banjos for my A10 thinking I was giving it a treat!!!  When I saw them and compared with the old ones - even the smaller holed one was bigger and the other one massive.  A10 = both 3/64.  I did a lot of digging and reading on the subject and ended up buying 2 new ones the right size.  They weren't expensive so no foul.

Cheers Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 05.09. 2016 23:51 »
I did a lot of digging and reading on the subject and ended up buying 2 new ones the right size.  They weren't expensive so no foul.
Raymond, that's my plan, they're about $5 each, so it won't break the bank.

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #20 on: 06.09. 2016 10:32 »
After reading this post I decided to have a look at my A7 49 long stroke bolts holding the banjo to the rocker feed on, and to my surprise they have a 1/8 hole in them, am I right in assuming that the long stroke banjo bolts are the same as the later A7/10? It dose not blow any smoke out the ex! but it dose blow a lot of oil out the breather, so I'm wondering if that is the cause of the oil loss out the breather? *conf2*
I have checked the cork seal in the timed breather and that is OK.
Would appreciate some feed back.
Peter   

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 06.09. 2016 10:40 »
 Pete, if it does that, I reckon it's worth sourcing some with smaller holes to find out, using the b,b,b method (beg,borrow,steal *eek*).

I'm not sure what the stock ones are, but worth a crack, they changed them for a reason.....( beg and borrow I can condone *smile*)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 07.09. 2016 00:23 »
Hi Peter
Compare the part numbers
Check on draganflys website, Maybe not 100% reliable tho ??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 07.09. 2016 09:31 »
Thanks Dutch and John yes I see Draganfly has 2 types 65-306 for 47 to 53 and 65-317 for 54 to 63 so have ordered 2 65-306 and will fit when they arrive and will let you know if it stops some of the oil coming out of the breather pipe *good3*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 07.09. 2016 10:43 »
Hello Tim.

Looks to me like someone has renewed the threaded part by using an insert, if you look just below the thread you can clearly see the join so most likely the only way to secure the new piece was to pin it.

Regards TTJohn

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 08.09. 2016 23:37 »
Looks to me like someone has renewed the threaded part by using an insert, if you look just below the thread you can clearly see the join so most likely the only way to secure the new piece was to pin it.

Regards TTJohn

TTJohn,

I checked it out, what looks like a join in the original photo is a shoulder on the union. I drilled the pin out, a PO had enlarged the original hole, tapped it (you can just make out the thread in the photo below) and sealed it. I'm assuming this was to try and solve a problem caused by the oversize holes in the rocker banjo bolts.

I'm now left with 3 normal size and 1 large hole on the union, but I've ordered some new banjo bolts with (I hope) the correct size holes, so I'll depend on them to meter the oil to the rocker box.

cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 24.09. 2016 07:54 »
Thanks Dutch and John yes I see Draganfly has 2 types 65-306 for 47 to 53 and 65-317 for 54 to 63 so have ordered 2 65-306 and will fit when they arrive and will let you know if it stops some of the oil coming out of the breather pipe *good3*
Peter
Well the two new bolts/screws 65-306 with 1/32 holes arrived yesterday and fitted them, took it for a run and have to report that it made absolutely no difference to the oil leaking out the engine breather "bugger" *problem*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 25.09. 2016 00:58 »
Maybe it's time to look at the cork washers between the cam pinion and the breather rotary valve.

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 25.09. 2016 02:01 »
Hi Trev, yes I did look at the cork washer in the timed breather  and it was OK but I had to use the thickest cork supplied and I noted that the locating dowel was only just connecting with hole  and I'm wondering if it has slipped out? I guess I will just have to take it apart to see, but I think the main problem is the bore, it was a bit worn when I did the motor and I think that blow by is the maim problem although it doesn't blow any smoke out the exhaust, it has done a bit over 13000 Ks since the re build and it is running quite nicely considering that it was built out of bits a peace's even the crankcase is not a matched pair, so I think I will put up with the oil leak and just ride it while I still can, only another 6 years and they will take my motor bike licence of me, 85 over here.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 25.09. 2016 07:32 »
...only another 6 years and they will take my motor bike licence off me, 85 over here.
I say, that's a bit crappy!  *sad2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash