Author Topic: A close one!  (Read 280 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
A close one!
« on: 04.09. 2016 18:45 »
I lost one of my my nine lives today! I was nearly home, approaching a minor crossroads, when a car just drove across right in front of me. Luckily I was only driving at 30mph but the anchors were liberally applied! The driver mouthed a "Sorry" at me but didn't stop. I mouthed a few words myself. *rant*

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: A close one!
« Reply #1 on: 04.09. 2016 18:52 »
At least you got a sorry...
Most of the time you'd get the finger for driving in their way...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.09. 2016 22:43 »
Very glad you avoided an accident.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 05.09. 2016 06:55 »
Over the years I've lost a couple of mates,
& have a mate that lost a leg due to drivers that were "Oops...SORRY I didn't see you"....    *rant* 
Glad your still with us GB..   *wink2*     there's a lot of crazy's out there     *conf2*

'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.09. 2016 10:00 »
I always ride in the centre of the lane, with my pilot light on. I don't speed in town. I was the only other vehicle near that junction. I don't understand how she could not have seen me, (if she looked). I now think what happened was that somehow she just drove across without seeing the junction. Scary!

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 05.09. 2016 11:46 »
Gb glad she missed !! that is probably what happened to busy putting on her lipstick to think about a simple junction , this morning ,on the way to work a four x four pulled out from a service road the driver ,male and not young was to busy having a shouting match with wife to notice an Asdra coming towards him but what makes it unforgiveable is that there were 2 kids in the back ,a complete idiot who proceeded at 60 mph down a 30 mph road just to get stuck in a queue of cars 300 yds on.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.09. 2016 12:26 »
I always ride in the centre of the lane, with my pilot light on. I don't speed in town. I was the only other vehicle near that junction. I don't understand how she could not have seen me, (if she looked). I now think what happened was that somehow she just drove across without seeing the junction. Scary!

She made a mistake.

Glad you got yourself stopped.  Look out for it happening again.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.09. 2016 12:41 »
...busy putting on her lipstick to think about a simple junction...

As a "day-and-age" issue, more likely distracted by cell phone talking, texting or checking email. The saying here is that distracted driving is the new drunk driving.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline bobandbec

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 05.09. 2016 13:39 »
Not so long ago I was hit by a woman driver pulling out on me as I went past a junction on my left. Direct side impact on me and the bike.

She got out and as I picked myself and the bike up she apologised saying she had got her foot stuck on the pedal because she was wearing boots with wide soles on them!
Luckily not much damage done to me or the bike but reminded me to make sure I travel out a bit when possible especially with junctions joining from the left.

Peter