Author Topic: Create a new National holiday  (Read 302 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Create a new National holiday
« on: 14.09. 2016 11:08 »
Today Gentlemen is a totally forgotten historic day , it is" Battle of Britain Day " the day on which The Nazis realised they couldn't obtain local aerial supremacy over the southeast of England which was a requirement before the little shit could unleash his invasion "sea lion " against us ,as a result it was postponed ,He had a go at Russia and that allowed us to stay in the war until our American cousins joined in.
I think this is a shocking way to treat the memory of such brave group ,sadly dwindling now to a handful, as the  men and women in Fighter command and that we should have it declared a National holiday ( really an international day as there were so many other nationals fighting in the RAF )
I feel a petition coming on , I'd like to know the feeling of my peers on this so I naturally think of you all, regards Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Create a new National holiday
« Reply #1 on: 14.09. 2016 11:14 »
Sorry guys sent a day early  *red* shows my sense of injustice !!!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.09. 2016 11:30 »

No worries Bob, nothin' a carton won't fix *smile*

Holiday? ears prick up *eek* hell yeah... *smile*...but the thing is here in Oz, a 'holiday' is generally regarded as a day of for whatever and generally WGAFW..?

A holiday would no doubt not happen here, but I have to say that my Ma was in an army thing in the UK WRAC??-(she was an Aussie over there at the time) and was a Sargeant-Major in a radar unit, and told stories of being in a unit that was responsible for tracking and shooting down the first German attack on British soil(sorry Klaus), not sure where, but I tried chasing it up a while ago, and from memory there was an installation on the Isle of Wight, but not sure if that was it, maybe I'll interrogate a sibling .
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 14.09. 2016 18:51 »
I'm for!
Anything or anyone that helped to throw back and finally defeat the nazi's has my deepest respect and should be honoured.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.09. 2016 22:59 »
So, I take it that Battle of Britain Day, as noted below from Wikipedia, is not a holiday.

"The 15th of September, also known as Battle of Britain Day, is now an annual commemoration of the battle in the United Kingdom."

Looking at the list of holidays in the UK, it appears to be absent any recognition of soldiers who served and died in wars. I am surprised by this and, therefore, BBD gets my vote as a national holiday in the UK. In the US there is Memorial Day (end of May) and Veterans' Day (Nov 11).

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 15.09. 2016 11:45 »
So, I take it that Battle of Britain Day, as noted below from Wikipedia, is not a holiday.

"The 15th of September, also known as Battle of Britain Day, is now an annual commemoration of the battle in the United Kingdom."

Looking at the list of holidays in the UK, it appears to be absent any recognition of soldiers who served and died in wars. I am surprised by this and, therefore, BBD gets my vote as a national holiday in the UK. In the US there is Memorial Day (end of May) and Veterans' Day (Nov 11).

Richard L.

11th of November is a national holiday in Belgium, France and in the UK, originally to remember the soldiers who died in the First World War.
Later it became a day to remember all soldiers wo fought and died in war.
A bit strange you didn't find it Richard as it's a big day both in the UK (remembrance day) as in France and Belgium where we have a big ceremony at the Menen Gate in Ieper/Ypres
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 15.09. 2016 12:10 »
11th of November is a national holiday in Belgium, France and in the UK
Actually, in the U.K. the 11th of November is not a holiday, and as far as I know never has been. It is a ceremonial day with parades at war memorials across the U.K. and there is a one minute silence to remember the fallen, but there is no holiday. In fact it is only in very recent times that the one minute silence has been re-established on the actual day (11th November). For a long time the act of rememberence took place on the nearest Sunday to the 11th.

John

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2016 22:59 »
Oops  *red*
You're right... Someone told me that a couple of years ago, but I completely forgot about it until now.
In that case, you really are in for an extra holiday. Something to bring up at the next elections maybe?

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium