Author Topic: Oh the horrors!  (Read 896 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Oh the horrors!
« on: 19.10. 2016 23:32 »
 At my job we have a lot of down time, so we all have time to do our favorite thing which is look for you tube videos.

Last night I witnessed some incredible butchery done to motorcycle engines during rebuild.

Why would a person go through the trouble of pushing new camshaft bushings into a set of cases, then "correctly size" them with a sanding drum in an electric drill? *eek*

Why have a crankshaft reground, then reuse a roller bearing that is so rusty you must free it with a torch to get it to spin? Then after adding a bunch of engine oil that now looks like mud after a couple rotations, proclaim that its "good as new" and install this?

Why would you use lock tite on a camshaft timing gear because you lost the woodruff key instead of getting a 30 cent key that fits?

Why would you think that running a cylinder hone 3000 times up and down a barrel is as good as a machine shop doing the boring?

And the list goes on and on....

Now I dont believe for a second any of these "rebuilds" run, or at most they dont run for long. The scary part is that this garbage is sold on E-bay and Craigs list every day...usually with some ad like: Complete restoration, no expense spared, engine has only done 12 miles since complete rebuild....

Scary business the things people do to engines and gearboxes, forks, wheels, everything they think they can save a buck on.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: Oh the horrors!
« Reply #1 on: 20.10. 2016 00:05 »
When I was a kid I did my own A10 crank re-grind! Somebody had damaged the end of the crank and the machine shop couldn't true it up to do it for me. I used some oversized shells and grinding paste.
After cleaning all the paste out, and reassembly it lasted for about 300 miles before it started knocking its conkers off. The oil going up the the rocker spindles (clear tube) looked like black metallic paint.

We live and learn!  *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.10. 2016 08:30 »
I once made my own woodruff key for my Austin Seven camshaft by using a file.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.10. 2016 08:52 »
I (just) remember being 17 and being told by my mate Angelo who changed the rings in the sloper engine on his 6 cylinder Chrysler Valiant, that he was missing a ring from the kit. Being young and imaginative, he overcame the problem by breaking a ring from another piston in half, and sharing the bits between the two pistons.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.10. 2016 09:04 »

and the list belongs in the You tube comments below the Video, hope that's where you put it coater87
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.10. 2016 11:10 »

and the list belongs in the You tube comments below the Video, hope that's where you put it coater87

What do you say? By the time I see the video, the dirty dastardly deeds have already been done. Shoot, the motors shiny internal bits have probably been swept from the streets already. Basically too late to help anything.

Oh, and the guy who does not own a gasket scraper so he uses a sanding disk on the case mating faces and is quite proud of his ability to think "outside the box"...

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 20.10. 2016 11:56 »
I expect many of us have done some pretty silly things early in our bike building lives. I certainly did. Some worked, others didn't. If you weren't lucky enough to have a mentor, you tried to figure it out and chalked up fails to learning experiences. Fortunately, most of mine were in the days before the internet.  *smile* Can't remember any that were catastrophic.............unless you count re-using an axle cotter pin on a VW beetle. The wheel came off, but fortunately stayed under the fender and held the car up until I got stopped. Got a ride to the parts store for a new axle nut and pin, put it back together and completed the journey without further incident. Lesson learned.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 20.10. 2016 12:20 »
Long ago, lost a car wheel while driving, after my botched change of bearing (reusing the old selflocking axle nut + not tightening according to specs). Lucky with no real damage, good learning experience to renew all important\crucial parts and know about torque when doing some job.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 20.10. 2016 13:15 »
When I was a motor mechanic I took a customers car for a test drive. When I got back to the workshop I discovered that I had forgotten to use the rattle gun on the wheel nuts! Lesson learnt, if you put wheel nuts on the studs, tighten them immediately.  *red*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.10. 2016 14:01 »
What do you say? By the time I see the video, the dirty dastardly deeds have already been done.

What I'm saying is we were all young and open to the odd bum steer and self inflicted not so good decisions (read comments above), so highlighting the flaws in the video may well save some young lad a pile of grief, (it's possible to comment without being offensive right, start sentence's with "no too sure I'd do that because ----)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.10. 2016 14:33 »
Wait! Lee was talking about just one video? I missed that.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 20.10. 2016 19:31 »
I'd like to see that video. Can you put up a link please Lee?
At about 8-9 years of age I caused my first motorcycle crash. To fit the handlebars to my home made mini bike I drilled two holes through the bars and top triple clamp and used bolts to fasten together. 1 mile from home the bar snapped sending me and my pillion (nice little girl next door) down the track. To get home she pushed as I steered.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 20.10. 2016 22:02 »
Just for the record, I'm not having a go at Lee just think sometimes we need to help the young and innocent (presuming there's any left)
All the best - Bill

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 20.10. 2016 22:59 »
I once made my own woodruff key for my Austin Seven camshaft by using a file.

Same here, cut the tang of the file off and then used the file to make it fit. Also tapped the new 'woodruff key' into the groove with the file. A one tool fix! *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 20.10. 2016 23:40 »
Just for the record, I'm not having a go at Lee just think sometimes we need to help the young and innocent (presuming there's any left)

I understand what you are getting at here Bill, and you are right.

I would have to dig a lot in my history to find them all, but here is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v09MJAzV83g

No Richard, these were all little nuggets of no-nos in different videos.

The one above is the camshaft bushing "reaming" procedure.

Lee