Author Topic: Oh the horrors!  (Read 866 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oh the horrors!
« Reply #15 on: 21.10. 2016 08:40 »
I once made my own woodruff key for my Austin Seven camshaft by using a file.

Same here, cut the tang of the file off and then used the file to make it fit. Also tapped the new 'woodruff key' into the groove with the file. A one tool fix! *smile*

No, I meant that I filed it to shape.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 21.10. 2016 09:24 »

My dad made a key for the final drive shaft for my first transport an NSU Quickly ( I wont credit it with the term "bike")
The damn thing was forever shearing them, and yes he made the key from the handle end of a reaper blade file, then tempered it in oil.
Did it last, well it lasted better than the shaft which promptly broke.
not all Dads work failed. I can just recall our first Radio, he made this himself and housed it in a wooden grocery box (this is 1948 - 1950), later we went onto Bakelite via Radio Rentals (remember them )
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 21.10. 2016 11:23 »
Bill, indeed I do radio rentals part of the then mighty EMI  ,I worked for them for 10 yrs a very good firm to work for ,then !.
Re the lash ups inflicted on engines one of our associated gang , sometimes there mostly not cos his bike had gone kaput again,( he was a terrible mechanic and just wouldn't listen so eventually people stopped offering ) decided to direct his efforts onto the engine of a Ford consul convertible ,it needed a reground crank a new oil pump plus bearings , exchange cranks were numerous and fairly cheap and we assumed he'd gone the sensible way for once as really it was a nice looking car , He invited us all for a run out and when we piled in we had to admit that things seemed nice an quiet ,it moved ok so what the hell ,out we go to parbold and joined the M6 doing 65ish no problem , we're getting impressed he had to blast it to which we shouted for gods sake a new motor take it easy etc or words close to that  *whistle* anyway he pulled of the motor way and we decided to have a drink , lovely pub beer consumed we went out and there was a pool of oil ,no probs he'd sort tomorrow ,oil in boot so topped up we drove back towards home about 15 miles away,after 5 the temp gauge wa bent against the stop ,which we did , water added after it had cooled  another 5 miles a deep rumble and when we just got back to the carpark we hung around on it seized , we were a bit shocked thinking about all the money he'd spent ,next day Bruce and me had time to look at it and wheezed the motor out ,we were surprised cos everything was reallt tight , when we looked into the mess it turned out that he'd used feeler gauges to take up the play on the b/ends and just preened the mains to take the play all done from underneath having just dropped the sump  how the hel cos they had a massive cross member and he didn't have much room infact it would have been easier and faster to do it well than the crap job he did on it .The worrying thing is he is still a full time mechanic !!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 21.10. 2016 11:45 »

My dad made a key for the final drive shaft for my first transport an NSU Quickly ( I wont credit it with the term "bike")
The damn thing was forever shearing them, and yes he made the key from the handle end of a reaper blade file, then tempered it in oil.
Did it last, well it lasted better than the shaft which promptly broke.

I am of the belief that woodruff keys should fail first so soft steel is ok. In the case of my sidevalve Austin Seven no harm would be done by the camshaft key failing.  ;)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 21.10. 2016 16:32 »
Hi All,
We're just back from walking the dog, along the road we had to divert the dog from walking into a small pool of engine oil  *ex* about 30 yards further on the oil stream could be seen trailing  along the roadway
So the vehicle only lasted 30 od yds when the oil was gone !!!
The other day I was at my friends place who is a mechanic (very good one too) the yard had several fairly modern cars "abandoned" all with blown engines
Every one of them had been neglected (oil wise) until they died  *ex*

It seems that all the neglected and abused bikes and engines arrive here and I am expected to perform miracles on them *angry*
Common story, "it was going fine until it stopped"  or "there cant be much wrong with it"

*problem* *razz* *pull hair out*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 21.10. 2016 17:20 »
Every one of them had been neglected (oil wise) until they died

That's something that does worry me.
Modern engines just don't seem to use oil, it was the case with my last car (1007 focus) that I never had need to top up the oil between yearly services (don't do much more than 10K a year), This could lead to getting Lax about checking the level of course, specially with advancing years.
Hopefully my past working life driving tractors will have ingrained the need for oil checks (first thing to be done of a morning)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 21.10. 2016 17:29 »
The worst I've known was my own A10. The big end bolts were three different sizes, two were threaded all the way up to the head, and one was a 10mm set screw. None of them had even a spring washer on! Lasted about thirty miles before one of them came undone and started gouging the crankcases. Rapid clutch engagement saved the day, and the gouge mark is still there to this day.

Edit: Having read this through again it reads like I did it, I didn't! It was the previous owner.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 21.10. 2016 19:17 »
Every one of them had been neglected (oil wise) until they died.

Guilty! ...and most embarrasingly, within the last three weeks.  We had a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country van with 155K miles on it, lots of rust and ample-enough body damage. It was one of two beaters shared between my son and myself while wife and daughter have the new cars. So, for the first time in a while I went to use the van and there was quite a knocking coming from the engine and a red oil light on the dash. Turns out my son did not understand the oil light and kept driving on it for 3 or 4 days.  Wanting to admonish him, I quickly realized that it was entirely my fault, being the family mechanic who failed to pay attention to the car because someone else was driving it. By now it might be on it's way to India in its more compact format.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 21.10. 2016 20:07 »
Reminds me of my sister's Ford XD Falcon. Her ham fisted husband broke the end off the dip stick at the full mark. I told her to always make sure there was about 1/8" of oil showing on it. The he pushed the dip stick too hard and the stopper cup came loose. She didn't realise the stick was now going all the way to the bottom of the sump. I got a call to come and see what was wrong (30 miles South). I could see the car in the distance but noticed a few shiny bits on the road. Upon lifting the bonnet I saw three holes in the block and two in the sump!. Those shiny bits on the road were the camshaft in 3 pieces and two of the rods tried to escape as well.
Now going out to check the ute before work. Touch wood!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 21.10. 2016 23:18 »
Somewhat embarassing to admit, but my wife is better than I about (having me do it) checking the oil in her car. My Jeep has just begun to use a little oil between changes at 260,000 miles. I check the bikes about every 3 or 4 gas fill ups. I'm even worse on tire pressures. I check them before a long trip or is the handling feels suspicious. Back when the wife drove a baja bug, she checked the oil every time she went to drive it (easy, as the engine was exposed). One day the engine gas out with a clatter. I pulled the dipstick and level was as it should be. Then I smelled it. Gasoline! Seems the fuel pump diaphragm had given out and was allowing gas into the crankcase, which maintained the level but without adequate lubricating properties. Had to convince her she was in no way at fault. Just a poor design.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 22.10. 2016 00:42 »
Speaking of checking the oil...........
This incident might have qualified for Ripley's Believe it or Not......
I gave our 17 year old apprentice fitter the task of checking the oil on a Toyota Hilux.
30 minutes later, Boy Wonder was still crouched under the bonnet.
"Glen, what are you doing?" sez I.
"Not finished yet; it needed oil - I am topping it up".

Sadly he was; through the dip stick tube.

Which is how he earned the nickname......Dipstick.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 22.10. 2016 10:03 »
I think this forum needs a Confessions topic. Come on guys let it all out. Confess your sins. You'll feel so much better! I might even tell you what I did with a Puch 125 that I wanted to sell without spending much money.

Muskys amazing dipstick story reminded me of something a friend told me. Aparently older Rolls Royce cars tended to leak a little oil after a run. This is due I think to a poorly sealed front crankshaft bush. The solution to this was to cut quarter of an inch off the bottom of the dipstick, hence filling to a lower level. Anyone here confirm this?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 22.10. 2016 15:13 »
Wouldn't you need to add  a quarter inch to result in filling to a lower level?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 22.10. 2016 19:49 »
Wouldn't you need to add  a quarter inch to result in filling to a lower level?

Richard L.

I presume the dipstick bottoms on the sump floor rather than having a stop collar

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 25.10. 2016 08:55 »
When I was a motor mechanic I took a customers car for a test drive. When I got back to the workshop I discovered that I had forgotten to use the rattle gun on the wheel nuts! Lesson learnt, if you put wheel nuts on the studs, tighten them immediately.  *red*

That's where old style hub caps score - you get an audible warning as the nuts rattle around in there.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza