Author Topic: Un happy Trihard owner  (Read 675 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Un happy Trihard owner
« on: 26.10. 2016 08:27 »
Just got shown this ebay item. Think he'll never buy an English bike again. Funny but sad.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRIUMPH-THRUXTON-R-2016-3-MONTHS-OLD-AS-NEW-KINDA-/152292047308?hash=item23755039cc:g:Hi0AAOSwnbZYDYJP
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: Un happy Trihard owner
« Reply #1 on: 26.10. 2016 10:18 »
yikes, what a story  *eek*
makes me like my bsa's even more
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.10. 2016 10:27 »
Member Paul has a Triumph Thruxton. I wonder if he is happy with it. Paul?

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 26.10. 2016 10:28 »
lol++

"Now, if you have recently grown a beard and are wearing fashion from the 60s and 70s and have a hotch-potch of tattoos all gotten at the same time, telling of a life you haven't lived yet, then this bike is for you. It will give you all the headaches of owning an old bike...."

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 26.10. 2016 12:55 »
I have the exact same bike , a Triumph Thruxton R. I put just under 10,000 kms on it this year, zero problems, beautiful thing to ride, certainly the best motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden. Reading on the Triumph Website, there aren't a lot of problems with these bikes even though there are many thousands of them out there already.  There is a complaints thread about the bike and most of the complaints are about items such as "the instrument lights should be brighter" or "why do I have to push the mode button, for Sport Mode, it should automatically be in Sport mode" etc.
One person complained that the Monza cap opens backwards to the way he thinks it should be.

There are very few real mechanical problems showing up with the bikes. I expect they will be bulletproof like the other Hinckley Triumphs have proven to be.
There are plenty of the previous generation Hinckley Bonnies with 100,000 miles on the clock and just routine maintenance done. I'm not sure people realize just how good these bikes are.
The Hinckley Triples are also a very tough motor and extremely powerful. I also have an 05 955i Daytona which at 161 bhp is a bit over the top for me, but reliability has been 100%

I would love to know the real story on the EBay bike. I notice he talks about waiting 6-12 months for parts but has only owned the bike 3 months?
And the only detail on an actual mechanical problem is a bolt missing from the gear lever. There is no other detail of any fault other than warnings that the bike "Will break down if you test ride it".
Sounds like a Nutter.
Could be like my neighbour who has destroyed 2 new John Deere tractors with stupidity and abuse, then screamed for warranty and complained about the brand.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 26.10. 2016 13:35 »
The dealer that I worked at until last year was a Triumph dealership (also BMW, Ducati). They stopped selling Triumphs around 2014. I never really got to know Triumphs very well because they seemed to be so trouble-free. The only warranty repair I did was for a leaking valve cover gasket. I considered them, at that time, the best built bikes I'd ever been around. I suppose any company can build a lemon, but with this guys rant, I have to wonder more about him and his dealer than the bike itself. And his worry about borrowing parts from a showroom bike???? The dealer is losing the time to remove/replace parts from the bike in the showroom, which of course can't be sold until they replace the parts. Meantime, they have to pay flooring charges. What more can they do???

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.10. 2016 20:37 »
I owned a 2010 675 street triple for a few years, prior to my ownership starting in 2012 it had the mirrors replaced due to corrosion (I got them as spares with the bike, and could certainly see why, they were rotten!). More significantly the regulator had also been replaced under warranty as these failed early, this was a serious safety issue with these bikes as the symptom was usually the engine cutting out, so very dodgy in traffic. For many owners the regulator replacement under warranty was not a simple one off fix as it had often caused associated damage to the battery and/or alternator which led to multiple repeat visits back to the dealership, until all the major charging circuit components were replaced, often components were replaced twice before a good set was achieved.

Out of warranty many owners have fitted Honda regulators.........as Triumph had several attempts to find a solution to the regulators failing and owners had lost confidence, forums are full of this topic.

My brothers 1999 955i which he bought from new had similar electrical issues fixed under warranty so Triumph have a bit of history in this area.......

Another known serious issue on the 675 that usually showed up after warranty and showed up on my bike was wiring loom connectors failing under the tank, also causing the engine to cut out intermittently, usually half way through a high speed bend  *pull hair out* *problem*.

Another (lesser) known quality issue with the 675 are steering head bearings failing early, also sometimes fixed under warranty. My bike needed new head bearings at 38,000km so not TOO bad. It also needed new brake discs all round at the same mileage (very expensive using Oem parts, circa $1500 NZD) but this was not a common issue. The discs (being made of cheese) should probably should have been replaced before I got the bike at around 25,000km as they were WAY below the wear limit at 38,000km.

So, in my experience a great bike to ride is the 675, but spoilt a bit by Triumph buying in a few components with quality issues, but if I wasn't retired and could afford it I'd buy another one *woo*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 28.10. 2016 18:13 »
saw a new triumph still under warranty today in dealers workshop chain adjusters siezed solid in swinging arm even heating didnt help

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 29.10. 2016 02:34 »
Well they aren't quite perfect I guess, but with 141,000 Bonnevilles sold plus all of their other models you might get a steering bearing or a chain adjuster to fix now and then.
I've had nothing for repairs or problems on my two Hinckley Triumphs. A good friend bought one of the leftover previous generation air cooled Bonnies when I bought the new Thruxton r 1200. We did several big trips together last year but he beat me at 10,000 kms to my 9,000. He is 74 years old, a lifelong motorcyclist and was the National Sales manager for Yamaha Canada plus western USA. He has owned scores of bikes including several/BMW touring bikes and various Yamaha offerings.
He says the Bonnie is the best bike he has ever owned. It replaced a really lovely Vincent Rapide that he logged 32,000 miles on in six years.

Glen

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 29.10. 2016 10:03 »
I like to keep my modern bike 'modern', so update regularly. I bought a new 790 Bonneville and had it for 5 years with zero problems. Then traded it on a new 1050 Sprint. Brilliant engine, Power, Torque and engine braking all where you want it. But it had gear linkage problems, dealer said a lot of the triples do it, but no warranty as Triumph don't recognise it as a problem!!!  Triumph Australia are owned by Peter Stevens and I don't spend any money in their stores anymore.  The Sprint was traded on a new Yamaha TDM900, easy bike to ride, zero problems. Cheers TC
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 29.10. 2016 14:53 »
B.S.A. are just as bad, phoned Small Heath yesterday about my extended warranty, and the number was unobtainable!

Went to the main dealers shop, and they pretended not to know what I was on about, and asked me to leave. I refused so they called the police  and had me arrested.

Wont be buying another A10 off them! *sad2*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 29.10. 2016 21:48 »
B.S.A. are just as bad
and now the parts office is moving to Bombay I hear you have to apply there in person
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Offline PaulC

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 29.10. 2016 22:05 »
Hi Greybeard, yes I have and there were several others at this year's Oxford DGR. At risk of tempting fate, yes I am very happy with it. I've had a faultless 1,500 miles so far. I had a 900 Bonneville before that and it was faultless too, if a little dull compared to the 'R'!

I haven't always had a good time with Triumph. My two bikes before the Bonneville were 1200cc Explorers and they both had problems with the throttle bodies causing them to cut out at the most inconvenient moments!

Two BMWs I had also gave me grief, but worst of all, one rusted away so badly in two years that the dealer refused to take it in PX, despite having serviced it for me every six months. I PX'd it for the first of my two Kawasaki 1400 GTRs which were most reliable!

Paul

A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014