Author Topic: Engine numbers  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Engine numbers
« Reply #15 on: 24.05. 2009 07:57 »
This thread has raised some very interesting issues.

A10Boy I agree with you that numbers are a vehicles identity and must be monitored, I would not change numbers on anything I owned for any reason. However as Olev says have the BSAOC made any attempt to address the problem of fakes, there are a lot more RGS's and Goldstars around than the factory made. There is no way of checking for the average person when purchasing a bike as the BSAOC will not release the factory records so someone can check. If this information was available on their website then fakes would be easily identified so are they really serious about identifying fakes. I know you can probably get the info from them if you join their club etc but that is not always easy for those of us who live scattered all over the world. Now I am not trying to run down the BSAOC, I am sure they are a very good organisation but if indeed they did approve the welding of a piece of old crancase into another set just to retain the numbers then in my opinion, and I stress its only my opinion, they are hypocrits.

Another way of looking at the originality arguement is this. If you have a totally original bike and you replace the crankcases then you have a bike that is not and will not be considered original even though you have only replaced approx 2 percent of the original bike. On the other hand if you have the front half of a frame and a set of cases that match then you can buy the other 95 percent of the bike at swaps etc and have a bike that is considered totally original. Doesnt make sense.

I'm a firm believer that if you have an original bike then thats good but if not then that should not stop anyone from owning and enjoying the bike they have.

Now I will get down off my soapbox and go and clean my non original plunger A10 that I did a bit over 400k's on today and enjoyed every minute of it.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 24.05. 2009 10:13 »
New frames came from BSA without numbers, I Know this as I had occasion to buy one along with a new tank and a few other bits following a coming together with a Goldie in 1962.
The dealer did not stamp any numbers on it and I later sold it back to him ( for £175 !!! ) and he sold it on again.
Don't know if that could happen these days though

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #17 on: 24.05. 2009 12:48 »
Can you imagine trying to get a reg document on a bike with no frame number these days.

The BSAOC do good work looking after the legal issues and have helped a lot of people who where having problems with obtaining reg documents and validations.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: Engine numbers/Frame Numbers...
« Reply #18 on: 24.05. 2009 20:07 »
Just to throw a spanner in the works.... What does one do if they purchase a bike/frame where the numbers have been ground off with an angle grinder or file??
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 25.05. 2009 13:34 »
scrap them not worth th hassle mate i bet a lot ove bsa engines
had a con rod throue the drive side case because a lot ove
people then didint clean the sludgetrap out
or change the oil they just used them every day
come what may they didint prise them as much as we do today
and with bsa not being here today it makes the machines we have that bit more special
and in a way were keeping history alive

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #20 on: 25.05. 2009 17:06 »
Brian
I'm sure that the BSAOC [in the UK] do their best to keep everything legal, and just by acting as the "Authority", they are helping us keep our prized chargers on the road. Without their help a lot of bikes which turned up in the last 20 years or so wouldn't have been registered, or would have ended up on crappy Q plates. Our government agency in the Uk wouldn't be bothered to sort out records to prove the age of a vehicle, and we the BSA owners would be worse off.

Records are available and they will issue them to members for a small fee, I think its a good thing to be a member, I support them through the membership and they help me via their services.

Its nothing to do with the originality of any particular bike, its to do with Legalities.

There are indeed a large amount of fake Goldstars, but imagine if their was no control at all. BTW, the Goldstar owners club is separate to the BSAOC.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 28.05. 2009 17:37 »
Hey olev
  Did you try my friend in Canada?  If so how did you make out?  Jeff