Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 467 times)

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
Helmets
« on: 01.11. 2016 21:37 »
Since getting my A10 I have thought a lot about my youth  *eek* and when I got my first bike helmet laws were not invented ......but my dad being the cautious type insisted I have one and wear it at all times  :! So off to Watson Cairns in Leeds and got me a nice shiny silver Everoak open faced helmet made of fibre glass and lined with big chunks of cork covered in real leather and a pair of Stadium goggles Biggles would have been proud to wear ! Now me being a bit of a rebellious lad sometimes would ride to my mates in the summer and leave the helmet at his house and off we would go for the day hair blowing in the wind ( That bit familiar to anyone else  *smiley4*) . Well that started me thinking , now im going back in time do I go for another " open face helmet and goggles " ?...or now that the world has moved forward with safety etc and the full face helmet is supposed to stop us grinding our chin off should the shit hit the fan or do I stick with my OGK full face and visor.
Must admit it does not feel right when I am out on the A10 having a full face on and certainly would not feel right on my 1400 in an open faced one. What do you gents think or wear on the head ?  *smiley4*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: 01.11. 2016 21:54 »
I've got a Premier vintage, which is quite good I find, a snug fit without getting to tight on long trips.
It also got a practical flip down visor which can easily be flipped up or down even with gloves on.
But as most modern day safety approved helmets, it's rather big. It makes my wife laugh every time I put it on. She says it looks like I've been to the hairdresser and forgot to take the hair dryer hood off...  *dunno2*
http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/scooter/helmets/open-face/premier-jet-vintage-helmet-ck-black.html
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.11. 2016 22:20 »
I bought a Davida open face helmet. I tried  on the display model in the shop, it fitted perfectly. When I went back again to buy one they offered me the display one at a reduced price. The only negative point is that it covers my head so snugly that I can hardly hear anything with it on, including the bike exhaust noise! I dread it when some old codger comes over to me when I'm filling the BSA in a petrol station. I can see their mouth moving and luckily I know more or less that they are telling me about when they or their father/uncle/headmaster had a motorbike like mine but I cannot hear them. I just smile and nod!

Offline scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
« Reply #3 on: 01.11. 2016 22:37 »
I've always worn a lid and its always been open faced...

Greybeard.......Ditto on the Davida

I have the Jet open face model and have had to learn how to lip read when wearing mine...can't hear a thing...
other than that a great helmet

My winter job involves riding snowmobiles and wearing a helmet where I also opt for open face

just my preference really

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.11. 2016 22:55 »
Modern open face helmets are very wide and catch a lot of wind.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.11. 2016 23:31 »
Modern open face helmets are very wide and catch a lot of wind.
I don't think that will be a problem for me on my humble Plunger A10.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2016 00:19 »
Hi Dave, buy what fits best is a good policy, but I would recommend a flip up, I use a caberg one. I can't afford  a helmet for the BSA and one for the modern  :(      Well the wife says I can't anyway.

http://www.caberg.it/en/helmets/flip-up/duke

The model I gave has the added advantage of being approved for use in the flip up position, but you look a bit dorkish with it flipped up so I reserve that for country roads.

You can take it off with yr glasses still on which is a bonus.

Flip up helmets have a rep for being noisy but I wear ear plugs anyway.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife)

Offline scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
« Reply #7 on: 02.11. 2016 01:52 »
I've seen one open face helmet where the drop down visor retracts inside the
Helmet casing in the up position
This visor comes half way down your nose so not as much protection maybe

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2016 07:51 »
Dave,
 I've pondered the same quandary myself, I prefer a full face for the race track and longer trips, but an open face has its charms for club runs  *dunno*
One option might be the bell bullitt, retro albeit late sixties/early seventies space man style.
plenty of room for goggles and scarf, but you also won't wear your face off on the road.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.11. 2016 08:06 »
...One option might be the bell bullitt, retro albeit late sixties/early seventies space man style.
plenty of room for goggles and scarf, but you also won't wear your face off on the road.
Over 300 quid!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #10 on: 02.11. 2016 09:17 »
Like Rocket Racer I thought about this when I got back on the road. I really wanted an open face helmet as I had one when I first started riding and also rode (illegally) a few times without a helmet (great feeling)  *evil*. However I have a friend who face planted with an open face and it is not nice so wanted a full face for longer trips on busier roads.
Bought a Shark Evoline can be used legally both open and full face. The flip front goes right over to the back so looks Ok open face. A bit costly but it fitted the requirements  *smil*.
I have used the open face feature twice in 3+ years  *doh*.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 02.11. 2016 10:01 »
i've always used a fullface and still do on the bsa's. what's your head worth?  my shoei is a flip up front (not for riding it open) so i don't have to take it off when fixing the BSA on the side of the road.

wouldn't want an open face either - what's your face worth? i almost cut my face in half in a car crash when young and wouldn't want to go through that again.

saving money on safety gear is like buying cheap medical equipment or welding with sunglasses.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Offline gold33

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 02.11. 2016 10:45 »
Open face for the local coffee runs, full face for long trips and hwy.
Grasshoppers and open face helmets don't mix! 
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 02.11. 2016 11:33 »
I've used an open face when I first put the bike back on the road and was reasonably happy but the goggles just didn't fit properly ,tried 3 types all the same, also the stupid strap tightening clips needed gloves removed to adjust and being a clumsy sod anyway used to take me forever to undo .
I switched to a flip front and although noisy very easy to use and I feel a little safer.
Really though it's a personal thing , no right or wrong choice .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 02.11. 2016 19:11 »
Open face for the local coffee runs, full face for long trips and hwy.
Grasshoppers and open face helmets don't mix!
Same here except replace coffee with beer!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7