Author Topic: Straight pull spokes twisting in hub  (Read 398 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Straight pull spokes twisting in hub
« on: 03.11. 2016 02:17 »
 OK,

New rims and spokes. Used anti seize on threads, and just under rim of nipple.

My problem is the spokes are straight pull, and I am getting twisting in the hub. So instead of tightening, the entire spoke spins.

In the past, I have watched guys try to use taped up pliers, never seemed to work that well. When that fails, usually a few layers of tape come off then the spoke is pretty much junk.

I have thought about locktites, but I doubt if that will work.

Anyone have a good way to do this?

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Straight pull spokes twisting in hub
« Reply #1 on: 03.11. 2016 09:23 »
I used the supplied lube stuff that came with Stainless spokes, I realised by accident that it had set, so needed to remove it and came upon the spinning spoke problem you have, I used leather between the jaws of a set of mole grips, yes some spokes did mark slightly but I was able to polish the marks out.
good luck with it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Straight pull spokes twisting in hub
« Reply #2 on: 05.11. 2016 18:58 »
 I used a locking vice grip and glued two pieces of heavy leather into the jaws. This worked great, and after I got enough tension on the spokes they did not want to twist anymore.

I am not finished yet so we will see if all the twist stops.

One thing I did find with the Devon rims, is "facets" in the bead where the machine rolls the rim. You cannot really feel them, but I see them with the indicator needle. Instead of being perfectly round, its like a series of little flat spots. This would not matter if you true them with a pointer, but its something to keep in mind if you use an indicator. I think with the indicator I will be happy with 6-8 thousandths hop run-out. With the flats in the bead its impossible to indicate it any closer.

It looks very, very good with a pointer so far but I have yet to do the side-side or the final tension. I will keep you informed.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.