Author Topic: Monobloc air /choke cable  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
Re: Monobloc air /choke cable
« Reply #15 on: 11.11. 2016 08:22 »
Would it not be simpler to get a standard twist grip then or is there a good reason to keep the non standard one ?
Yeh Dave - definately an option.  Reason for not doing that so far is - I'm only just realising there are a variety of twist grip types, don't know what type is standard, just bought the one I have so it's new and shiney and matches the clip ons, controls and has a new matching grip fitted.
Guess this whole thread started because I didn't realise there were so many options and combinations (threaded mixing chambers, top hats, cable ends, twist grips, adjusters, blanking plugs) and opinions of course.
Think we've flushed out more than enough to get through fitting a carb now though  *smiley4*
Hope I don't sound dim!  I am quite capable of replacing and fitting a throttle cable - I just was unaware of the variables and tried to replace all of them at the same time.  I don't normally consider myself as impetuous but in this case I think at least impatience has got the better of me and I have chased the variables in a less than planned and thought out manner - note to self - measure twice - buy once  ;)
Every day is a school day.
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 11.11. 2016 18:05 »
Hi Raymond,
Keep the Mikuni,
I have one on my SR since I built it 14 years ago,
Its definitely an improvement.
I have built quite a few BSA's with both AMAl and Mikuni carbs so feel I can offer a comparison

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 13.11. 2016 19:45 »
Cheers John, will do.
Finally got everything together today and eventually ended up with an adjustable cable and mixing chamber adjuster.  The mid adjuster cable was just too loose with just the top hat in place!  Doesn't sound normal but there you go.  Had enough room to get everything fitted and kept my Amal 364 twist grip.  Switching the carb top meant I got the use out of my £2 air cable plug - lol and didn't need any more cables.
THEN
I gently (well it was meant to be gently) let my bike lift table down a bit from carb being at shoulder height - and the bike rocked forward right off the centre stand and landed upside down on the floor - bet you could guess the feeling!!!
Now back on the lift and no real damage - can't believe I got away so lucky with that one.  Think I've used up at least one of my cat lives tonight.
Still I feeling a bit shell shocked - just going to pour a whiskey and sit down for a bit.
Phew.
Cheers raymond
Scotland

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #18 on: 14.11. 2016 13:05 »
Hope it was a very large one Raymond !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 14.11. 2016 13:31 »
...I gently (well it was meant to be gently) let my bike lift table down a bit from carb being at shoulder height - and the bike rocked forward right off the centre stand and landed upside down on the floor...

Bloody hell that could have been nasty! I'm very glad that you were not hurt and that the bike hasn't suffered much.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 14.11. 2016 15:34 »
A very lucky escape- not having the best organised workshop meant that a trunk with about 5 pairs of boots and all my fishing gear took a bit of the sting out of it.
It was just that sinking feeling you get when you see that happening and can't do a thing - kind of going so fast but feels like slow motion - then you feel your stomach heading south and your heart heading north!
Yes was a large whisky then I went out to lock up.
New smiths clocks - okay
New oil tank just painted and sealed - okay
New exhaust, polished end feed casings, headlight - all okay.
Could not believe the worst damage was a slight scratch on the clip ins where the brake lever had slipped up.
So lucky really - I was lowering it to fit the alloy fuel tank ready for its maiden start up -  or the tank would have definitely have got it.
So back a step or 2 - going to check out the centre stand before I go any further.  Suspect it's too straight up and down and needs a bit of fettling.
Just as well it happened here and now (rolled off the centre stand) and didn't wait till my first ride out in front of everyone.
Raymond
Scotland

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 14.11. 2016 16:22 »
Better get down the local shop and put a tenner on the lottery , seems like its your lucky week !
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 15.11. 2016 08:38 »
Euromillions ticket purchased :-)
Scotland