Author Topic: Be safe, don't use the brakes!  (Read 453 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Be safe, don't use the brakes!
« on: 10.11. 2016 13:41 »
Even when driving the car I try to drive without using the brakes, (as much as possible). Sounds daft I know but it's a great way to force you to anticipate your actions and has the benefit of saving fuel and putting less strain on the car. I was recently approaching red traffic lights so just took my foot of the gas and let the speed of the car fall away. An idiot behind me started flashing his lights and tooting!!  *rant*

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Be safe, don't use the brakes!
« Reply #1 on: 10.11. 2016 14:01 »
Even when driving the car I try to drive without using the brakes, (as much as possible).
Interesting that you say that. Many years ago when I was learning to ride, it was a widely held view that changing down a gear was part and parcel of the slowing down procedure. When I started driving lessons, I remember all to clearly my driving instructor telling me that the correct way to slow down was to use your brakes to reduce speed, and then to change down to the correct gear. His reasoning was that brake shoes were cheaper than gearboxes!

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 10.11. 2016 14:18 »
I also learned this way, I think it was referred to as block changing, ie putting all the stress on the bakes and shifting from say 5th to second once you've scrubbed the speed.  I do believe if more drivers read the road past the end of their bonnet, traffic would keep moving much more freely, as apposed to the frustrating slowing down, speeding up, slowing down mess caused by impatient drivers tailgating!!!

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.11. 2016 15:05 »
Many years ago when I was learning to ride, it was a widely held view that changing down a gear was part and parcel of the slowing down procedure.
I was also taught to use the engine to brake. I know that nowadays they teach brakes before gears. Mind you, they also teach not bothering to indicate if no one is following you. I was taught to always indicate before changing direction.

I also try not to use too much engine braking because that also wastes energy. My driving these days is all about anticipation. [why don't we have an emoticon with a halo!]. Obviously one cannot anticipate everything.

This not using the brakes was a throw-away tip for economy driving on Top Gear.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.11. 2016 17:27 »
While I was out walking the dog, (and incidentally enjoying a beautiful rainbow arching over the whole of Warwick town) I decided that all motorcyclists that survive the first few years must be good at anticipation and treating everyone else as complete prats. It's essential that you don't take your own safety for granted. You need to develop a sixth sense. Additionaly, BSA A series riders need to understand that a 60 plus year old brake design wil not be as good as hydraulic disks.

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 10.11. 2016 18:58 »
Many moons ago I took and passed my HGV class one and my PSV class one. The instruction was to be in the right gear at the right time and save your brakes so they will be nice and cool for when you need them. Its all about Anticipation.   

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 11.11. 2016 12:27 »
Absolutely ,anticipation  is the name of the game ie survival.  The girl who taught me to drive was very clear why you did things  for instance at junctions  look both ways and always right again, because that's the side from which  someone will try to kill you first . re gears still use 'em to brake, the modern way ensures that new drivers can't be safe in snow or freezing conditions ,if you can't understand the relationship between the road, the car and the right gear imho you'll never be a good safe driver .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.11. 2016 14:07 »
I suppose slowing by gearbox went out of fashion when disc brakes came in.
I must admit that having learnt to drive with double declutching I still tend to buzz the motor up and drop gears (talking cars here).
I kind of figured that all I was doing was wearing the back of all of the gear teeth, so increased wear shouldn’t be a problem?
And I too like to drive with big gaps and minimal braking anyway.

I must admit that the modern style of point and squirt driving is frustrating when you’re on some ancient clunker just trying to maintain momentum. 

Modern drivers don't make it hard for you to treat them like idiots.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 11.11. 2016 19:58 »
strange when you read all the comments and stories on this topic and other problems on the roads  for riders that so many refuse to fit indicators and a front brake light  switch far better to be safe than spoiling the look of the bike

Offline PaulC

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #9 on: 12.11. 2016 21:21 »
Relying on the vehicle driver behind you to pay attention is also dangerous. If in doubt, show him/her a brake light to wake them up before braking, even where, with nobody behind, you might choose to change gear without braking.
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 12.11. 2016 23:55 »
Brakes! they just slow you down  ;)
But engine braking puts a lot of strain on the engine, far more than hard out throttle. If you want to break your con rods use gear changes for braking.
Back in my relative youth (27 years ago) I raced a 500 preunit beesa single with poor brakes and threw a (steel) rod riding it home as a result  of too much engine braking (augmenting the brakes with down changes).

Roll off the throttle by all means but don't use down changes to slow down
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 13.11. 2016 08:26 »
Relying on the vehicle driver behind you to pay attention is also dangerous. If in doubt, show him/her a brake light to wake them up before braking, even where, with nobody behind, you might choose to change gear without braking.

Yes, I do dab the brakes sometimes to warn followers that I'm going to make a stop.

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 13.11. 2016 09:38 »
strange when you read all the comments and stories on this topic and other problems on the roads  for riders that so many refuse to fit indicators and a front brake light  switch far better to be safe than spoiling the look of the bike

You don't need a front brake light, if you press the back brake enough to put the light on.  It's the same light.

How have you arranged your front brake light switch on a cable operated brake?

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 13.11. 2016 09:42 »
But engine braking puts a lot of strain on the engine, far more than hard out throttle. If you want to break your con rods use gear changes for braking.

Back in my relative youth (27 years ago) I raced a 500 preunit beesa single with poor brakes and threw a (steel) rod riding it home as a result  of too much engine braking (augmenting the brakes with down changes

No, you won't break the conrods by using engine braking during road riding!

What happens when or after you've over-revved a Gold Star from Kate's to the the Creg is a different matter.