Author Topic: Changing Gearbox Oil  (Read 563 times)

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
Changing Gearbox Oil
« on: 27.12. 2016 20:01 »
I have what seems like stupid questions about gearbox oil but I can't find anything on this subject in the service sheets I have, so here goes...

When I bought my A7SS last August, I noticed that it was leaking some oil from the gearbox but this seems to have stopped in the past couple of months, without me even doing anything! I removed the oval cap for the clutch adjuster and noticed that there is no oil inside, so maybe that's why.
As I've already changed the engine and primary chaincase oils, I thought I should do the gearbox also, but not sure how to go about it. Firstly, where are the drain bolt and filler point located? I've also read somewhere that there's a oil level bolt just behind the kickstart, but the nut I removed just left a threaded rod that can be seen in the last picture...is this correct? Is it that relevant anyway on the basis I just need to put in a pint of oil anyway?
Any other hints and tips on anything I've forgotten to mention would be welcome.
Thanks for any help,
Steve

beezermacc

Re: Changing Gearbox Oil
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2016 20:32 »
The oval plate you have removed (held on by two screws) is where you pour the oil in. If you look on your second picture you can see the head of a bolt with a fibre washer in the back of the gearbox, just above the footrest; that's the level screw. So you remove the level screw, pour oil in the oval hole until it comes out of the level screw hole. The nut you have removed is, I think the nut which stops the kickstart spring securing screw from coming undone.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 27.12. 2016 20:54 »
Hi tommo903,

The first picture shows the inspection plate removed and this is where you fill the gearbox. There is very little gearbox oil showing through this inspection hole when it is full of oil. The second picture show the level plug with the fibre washer on it. Take out the plug and just fill with oil until it runs out of the level plug hole and wait till it has stopped before refitting the level plug. The gearbox drain plug is directly under the gearbox to the right hand side of the camplate which has a large lock nut on around bar going almost vertically into the bottom of the box with a plain screwdriver slot in the bottom. The clutch push rod looks to me to be too far out
of adjustment as it should be squarer on to the push rod so the ball bearing is square on to the push rod. Hope this is helpful information for you.

ELLIS

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 27.12. 2016 23:14 »
That's much clearer...very grateful to you both, thanks!

Ellis...I'm glad you mentioned the clutch push rod as I didn't think it looked right either, I'd better take a closer look at that as well.

All the best,
Steve