Author Topic: 1955 A10 Golden Flash 650cc - swinging arm model - clutch problem  (Read 5661 times)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Hi kiwigf, if you need one I'll send it  it'no use to me just a piece of junk, cheers
...How are you and your after the quake Wellington got hammered

That's very kind kiwipom, I'll have a look at what I've got as it's a while since I mocked the clutch up, I do remember thinking the parts were so knackered and mismatched it would never work!

We certainly felt the quake in Masterton....it lasted well over a minute and gave the house a really good shake, I see my old workplace in Wellington (BNZ building) has been in the news for getting badly earthquake damaged again.....embarrassing for such a new building.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
I got around (at last) to stripping out the rest of the clutch this morning. The studs had clearly been replaced as shown by the brazing.

Although there was no obvious damage to the bearings I have taken  advice and ordered the modified item from Draganfly.
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
I travelled down to Ivybridge to pick up a used clutch centre from Steve Burch but, when cleaned up, it isn't fit for purpose sadly  *sad2*

The reinforcing ring is broken in a number of places plus the studs are loose and spin freely which would cause problems in tightening up the spring retaining nuts. A previous owner has tried to tighten them up by centre punching but that no longer works. Photos below.

Thank you for the link to the NOS centre but it's too much to spend on a clutch that will probably be replaced as a whole at some point in the future.

I am therefore taking a chance on the one from an eBayer in India. I will let you know how I get on - just got to be patient.

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Draganfly and Feked don't have the pucca spring retaining half nuts in stock so I have ordered these from eBay - bit late to ask but will they be "right"?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111472480485

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
Draganfly and Feked don't have the pucca spring retaining half nuts in stock so I have ordered these from eBay - bit late to ask but will they be "right"?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111472480485

Brian

1/4 BSF I'm in doubt, but I think its 1/4 BSW

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Brian,
1/4 BSF is correct,
lets hope the Indian one is as original  *????*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Nuts arrived and they are the correct thread - phew  *smile*
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
OK - can't say I wasn't warned!  The clutch centre from India turned up and it seems to have shrunk on the voyage  *eek*

See photos below.

I have put the clutch back together so I can use the bike with the best of the genuine centres but am not happy  *sad2*

It was advertised as NEW BSA CLUTCH CENTRE 6 SPRING 5 PLATE M20 M21 B30 B31 B33 B34 A7 A10 66-3903  but could it be that one of these models use a shallower centre?

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Brian.
 The part # quoted is correct for A7/10. I can't say what model the one you got fits (might be a 3 plate job). Did you get it from rsvintageparts? 9 available 1 sold, looks like your the 1. Contact the seller, then leave a bad review so others are warned. Would cost more to return than what it's worth so hang it on the wall as a reminder of Indian parts.
http://www.degroot-bsa.nl/index.php?route=product/product&path=75_93&product_id=3986
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi All,
There's an in depth thread on the rebuild of a 6 spring clutch with a view to getting the best out of one on the Britbike forum,
It is written by a gent I know well, and him being a professor of physics shows in the writing *wink2*
The inner drum  (centre ) reinforcing ring  on the clutch has  more or less triangular shaped extensions spot welded to the "tongues" that hold the plates
I do not remember coming across this before, but then again, my aim when I come across a 6 spring is see how far away I can throw it  *pull hair out*

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=674773#Post674773

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
Hi Brian,

I had to get a replacement clutch centre too - for my 1958 GF. I have kept trying to make the most of my 6-spring clutch (can't afford an upgrade).  The bolts were loose in my original and one pulled out. The only one I could find was sold by British Spares Austria but it looks like it might have been from the same source as yours. I found it a bit shallower but all the plates fitted in. The nuts seemed a bit looser on the built-in bolt threads but still screw up. The threads on these bolts didn't go down as far. I found I couldn't get it tight enough to avoid slipping without putting a couple of washers under all the adjusting nuts. Having done this though and adjusting with a dial guage - it has stayed working good for a few thou miles now. I put the lock nuts on and it all stayed put.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Same basic dimension clutch is fitted to the c11 but with only room for two plates, so presumably BSA used the same clutch design with varyng depths across their range
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Did you get it from rsvintageparts?

Yep - that's the seller!  Will be doing as you suggest.

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
I am even more disappointed now having read Magnetoman's interesting blog on the 6-plate clutch.  I had also bought the Draganfly "improved" bearing kit and inner race only to see that it is likely to shred itself in a short period of time  *sad2*

Also I only have the clutch parts that were on the A10 when I bought it so I don't have the luxury of a parts bin of clutch parts to rummage through to find matching springs, etc.

I can see an SRM clutch kit looming on the horizon rather than spend more time and money trying to resolve issues with my existing set up. Presumably the kit does away with the need for this bearing?

However, as always, thank you for the great feedback and info from forum members  *smile*

The oil leak which initially prompted me to take off the clutch cover plate in the first place seems to have less significance now!

Brian

PS I have only had one decent run on the bike since I bought it and, whilst realising that a degree of fettling is always going to be required, I would rather the balance of my time be spent in favour of riding than fettling.
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
You are embarrasesd, I was one of the people who advised him to do it  *red*
Fortunately he is not one prone to physical violence  *fight* but I know who will be paying for the beers when he comes down under next time.

Now as for the 6 spring' It comes in 2 diameters and 2 heights in both diameters.
M20's and B31's had the thinner version and C series had the smaller diameter .
SO you have a single clutch.
You can do the right thing by giving them negative feedback and informing them they sent you the wrong part.

Good news is you can fit the full compliment of plates if you use shorter springs ( 4 spring clutch )
Bike Beesa
Trevor