Author Topic: 1955 A10 Golden Flash 650cc - swinging arm model - clutch problem  (Read 5737 times)

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
Hi Brian
I got a clutch adjuster bolt with ball not to long ago from De Groot in NL as I had same problem with a totally flat grinded ball.

http://www.degroot-bsa.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=780&search=clutch+adjuster&description=true&page=13

regards
Joergen

BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Hi Brian,

Where in the country do you live. Maybe one of us lives nearby and can call to show you how it all goes together. I agree it is a big leaning curve not having worked on A10s before but this forum is best place for resolving your problems. Stick at it, it will be worth it in the end.

Thank you for the encouragement Ellis - much appreciated.

I live just outside Exeter, Devon, SW UK. I attended a meeting of the Exeter Classic Motorcycle Club recently and fortuitously sat opposite a guy who lives within a few miles with a collection of A10s and does his own spannering on them. He had to leave the meeting early and I didn't get a contact number but he did suggest I go on their Boxing Day run so we could have a proper chat. Just hope Flash is running by then!

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Hi brian if it goes wrong don't worry I must have 5 spare clutch pushrods I'll gladly send you one in fact if you'd like I'll send you one as a spare . Bob

Very kind of you Bob! Let me see how I get on today  ;)

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Hi Brian
I got a clutch adjuster bolt with ball not to long ago from De Groot in NL as I had same problem with a totally flat grinded ball.

http://www.degroot-bsa.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=780&search=clutch+adjuster&description=true&page=13

regards
Joergen

It seems that they are almost a service item Joergen! 

I have ordered a new replacement which has been posted to me 1st Class today so if our Royal Mail do the business it should be with me tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Well that was an interesting little job for someone with cowman sized hands!!!!

Following John's tip that you could (just about) remove the adjuster without taking off the gearbox cover I had a go this morning because, as you will see in the photo below, the adjuster was far from parallel with the arm.

With the aid of a magnet as part of the operation (retrieving parts as they dropped into the gearbox and holding the nut as I attempted to start it back on the threads) all is now well. 

I was sort of lucky in the the PO hadn't put in a split pin so that was one less operation in the dismantlement.

It wasn't possible to get the adjuster totally parallel with the arm as the splines weren't positioned kindly for me - but it is a lot better than it was!

Getting the nut back on was a challenge as was lining up the split pin hole with the nut castellations. However, a whole lot easier, quicker and cleaner than taking the gearbox cover off.

I then took a deep breath, measured the SRM small pushrod and chopped the equivalent length off the original pushrod. I have just stopped for lunch and to re-read the instructions before adjusting it all up and hoping I got the pushrod length right  ;)

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK