Author Topic: Golden Flash Ignition Question  (Read 993 times)

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
Golden Flash Ignition Question
« on: 10.03. 2017 03:40 »
Hello all,
Just trying to short circuit too much reading as my eyes are already sore. I am resetting the timing on my 1953 Golden Flash.
With a dodgy back and blurry oculars, I now realise that setting the timing would have been that much easier BEFORE I reattached the sidecar. But, all seems well.
What is "tight" for the bolt that holds the advance unit onto the Mag. ? Is there a torque value, or do people just snug them up ?
regards, Mark K.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Golden Flash Ignition Question
« Reply #1 on: 10.03. 2017 04:47 »
 Never really thought about that- I guess I must just 'snug it up', partly as you'd have to be trying hard to overdo it; works OK for me  *wink2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 10.03. 2017 06:13 »
Thanks, I figured that, cos too much force and you would risk damaging the fibre gears on the advance unit.
But boy I wish I'd set it before putting the chair back on.
I even contemplated sitting in the damn thing with my cigarette paper.
Thought that was too wanky and put up with hanging over the framerail...

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.03. 2017 06:22 »

I don't do fags and it's no business of mine what goes in the paper- maybe try a bucket ? *smile*

For the points because of the ^^above^^, I use tinfoil, about the same thickness
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.03. 2017 06:37 »
Thanks, I figured that, cos too much force and you would risk damaging the fibre gears on the advance unit.

I take the strain off the fibre gear teeth with a lever inserted into the auto advance, while tightening the nut.

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 11.03. 2017 00:12 »
Thanks, so here's another thing that has just surfaced.   
With the advance unit "snugged" tight, the unit must grab the advance arms. They still throw out, but there is resistance against the springs pulling them back in.
The plate with the 2 pin holes is a little warped in spots. I'm wondering if that is the cause.
I cannot get the bolt out of the unit. Is that right ?

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 11.03. 2017 01:17 »
All good I believe. Read the post about this problem. Have turned the motor over a few times and advance unit moves OK.
Maybe as stated the armature and magnets were making it look like stickin'.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.03. 2017 04:11 »
I cannot get the bolt out of the unit. Is that right ?

I'm sure it comes out. .. If my memory serves, there's either (1) some kind of a circlip inboard or (2) you need to pull the nut outward to engage a thread and then it simply screws out .... or both(1) & (2)... but I may be thinking of something totally else  *dunno*
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.03. 2017 06:39 »
Warping of the tin plate with two holes in it doesn't matter.

The unit may feel tight, but it'll be ok if it returns to the retarded position when you turn the engine.

The nut that looks like a bolt has a coarse left-hand thread on its outside, for screwing it out through the yoke.  That doesn't always work easily, because (correctly) using the nut as an extractor chews up the end of the thread.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 11.03. 2017 10:11 »

The nut that looks like a bolt has a coarse left-hand thread on its outside, for screwing it out through the yoke.  That doesn't always work easily, because (correctly) using the nut as an extractor chews up the end of the thread.

yeah that re;
or (2) you need to pull the nut outward to engage a thread and then it simply screws out .... or both(1) & (2).

if it's just 'snugged up' (love that word), and a bit, then just a light tap or jiggle will loosen the gear, but then keep turning and the inner nut should come out...but sooner or later B-macc or groily or Trevor Trev will come along and say I'm (rightfully) full of the ahem *shh*
Australia

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 12.03. 2017 07:38 »
B-Macc's web site is a mine of useful info.  Well worth a look.  Any-one advocate altering the timing to take account of the (dreaded) Ethanol?  One classic bike forum contributor reckons its best to increase the advance by 5 degrees. *dunno*
'59 GF

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.03. 2017 08:41 »

but then keep turning and the inner nut should come out...but sooner or later B-macc or groily or Trevor Trev will come along and say I'm (rightfully) full of the ahem *shh*

I'm not going to say anything unkind, but you don't just keep turning it.

If you want to remove the nut completely, then once the auto advance is off the magneto shaft, you turn the nut the opposite way and try to get the left-handed thread to catch.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 12.03. 2017 09:03 »

I'm not going to say anything unkind, but you don't just keep turning it.

No offence taken, I didn't think I was completley correct, but had a feeling it was a variation of something like this;

If you want to remove the nut completely, then once the auto advance is off the magneto shaft, you turn the nut the opposite way and try to get the left-handed thread to catch.
.... will come along and say I'm (rightfully) full of the ahem *shh*
     *red*

whoops, missed this bit ;
*red* *red*
Australia

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 13.03. 2017 00:42 »
Thanks All,
Have seen the diagram with left handed thread on the bolt.
Mine feels like it starts, but then pulls loose again.
It's not an issue at the moment as the advance unit is working OK.
I'll just leave it be.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ... Yet
*smiley4*