Author Topic: Not oil circulation again?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
Re: Not oil circulation again?
« Reply #30 on: 22.12. 2016 16:02 »
Enlightning - Thank you.
Yeh that makes sense of why the end feed goes with the roller bearing mod I guess.
Is that the sludge trap at the bottom of the picture then - being acted on centrafugally to grab any debris?
I have a spare standard crank so will have a closer look at that with this diagram as a reference.  It's nice to pick up the understanding as well as 'just getting a job right'.  Will try squirting some oil round the spare crank for good measure - just to see it with my own eyes.
I actually have a whole DA10R bottom end (and most of a top end) so might have a go at putting it all together - plain bearing style, for a side project.

cheers Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 04.02. 2017 12:41 »
Started re assembling the timing side of the engine today, having set the timing etc..
Examined the oil pump, and its got cracks all over the base - seems in a right old state.
When I first got the bike I checked that oil was returning to the tank, and it was fine but now I don't think it will be sensible to just put the pump back on. *sad2*
Am considering my options, i.e. Replace body only, or go for a new pump.  Was looking forward to getting it running by tomorrow, but now not going to happen!
 *sad2* *sad2* *sad2*
'59 GF

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 04.02. 2017 12:48 »
Is that the sludge trap at the bottom of the picture then - being acted on centrafugally to grab any debris?
The sludge trap is the hole concentric with the big end journals. There are large access plugs in the crank web. On my Plunger there is just a hollow but later engines have some sort of removable tube arrangement in there.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 05.02. 2017 07:56 »
Take this mugs advice and get a new pump

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 05.02. 2017 09:11 »
As they say in NCIS  "On It" *wink2*
'59 GF

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 05.02. 2017 09:46 »

I bought a new cast iron High flow pump from John Phelan a while ago, and it works ok; Fairly sure Greybeard (GB) has the same. Can't recall John Phelans business name, although I saw the receipt the other day, much cheaper (and less fancy looking) than SRM but who cares we can't see it anyway.

No. As GB said, the sludge trap is at the top of the picture inside the big-end journal running horizontal from the right to what looks like a 'B' in the picture on the left B/E.
  Ray, (or whoever); in the groove in the right/timing side main journal opposite the big-end is a hole that the oil flows into- a 'gallery' through to the big ends just inside the plug, it's on a bit of an angle and poking a bit of wire down (or a pipe cleaner- or more appropriately a gun barrel brush), you'll see where it goes.

Keeping its location in mind is important when reinstalling the plugs so they don't block the flow

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 05.02. 2017 10:19 »
Found this online. Don't know if it's still accurate. Yes, I bought  a high flow cast iron pump from John. About half price of the SRM pump.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash