Author Topic: Oh yes!  (Read 1473 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Oh yes!
« on: 24.11. 2016 13:53 »
Managed to escape 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' with her long list of things for me to do to take the A10 out for an autumnal ride to a local airfield cafe where I partook of chip butties washed down with mugs of strong tea. As we've had much wetness recently I decided that the previous application of road salt must be thoroughly rinsed off by now. The trees are still holding on to most of their brown red and gold foliage so although the sun isn't shining today the countryside looks beautiful. The air was not too cold, so quite pleasant riding conditions.

I needed to record the bikes speedo display compared to the more accurate SatNav/GPS, (http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer) so I can get the instrument recalibrated over winter. From 20mph up to 60mph it is showing a 10% lower speed than the GPS, (30 speedo shows as 33 on the SatNav etc.) and that's the wrong way round!

Also the clutch lever was very stiff after not being used for a couple of months so I reckon a new cable will be required.  *work*

I had been considering selling the BSA over the summer to buy a Kawasaki W800 which I had fallen in love with but when I take the BSA for a ride I remember just how much more in love with that machine I am. She really is a gorgious motorcycle!  *loveit*

PS. Before you suggest that I buy the Kawasaki as a second bike: I'd love to but I cannot afford it and I don't have room for more than one motorcycle.  *cry*

Good Advice
No reactions

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Re: Oh yes!
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2016 16:05 »
Welcome back to the family Greybeard you had me worried there for a bit, although I have looked at the Kawasaki myself a few times but only as an additional toy and one that I could take out when the salt is still around. Never sell the BSA  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2016 16:25 »
Not sure I would put chip butties on my Thanksgiving Day menu, but I appreciate the look into your pleasnt ride on this American holiday where we are mostly obliged to eat ourselves silly in an effort to avoid arguements with our extended families.  The fall scene is great but not sure if you took that one or if it is a file photo.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2016 17:58 »
Pretty perfect day GB, Trees look great, Tea looks good, sarnie tho needs a big hand press to stop the chips escaping during consumption, chip buttie enthusiasts will know what I mean
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2016 18:45 »
Not sure I would put chip butties on my Thanksgiving Day menu, but I appreciate the look into your pleasnt ride on this American holiday where we are mostly obliged to eat ourselves silly in an effort to avoid arguements with our extended families.  The fall scene is great but not sure if you took that one or if it is a file photo.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Richard L.

Chip butties are ok if you have access to antacids  :(

We don't do thanksgiving here but I hope you have a good time stuffing yourselves with turkey.  *beer*

Stock photo but typical scene at the moment.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 24.11. 2016 22:42 »
Half 11 my wife says im going shopping, great says I  ;) so out came the GF nice ride long way through the countryside to our local bike haunt Squires CafĂ© Hour or so chatting with old boys about old bikes whilst enjoying homemade steak pies and mugs of hot Bovril with pepper then another ride through quiet countryside back home about 60miles total and still got back before the shopper !
Oldest bike there was a 1924 Royal Enfield 2stroke with 2 gears no clutch or kickstart wooden brake blocks and acetylene lamps  *eek*
To start it he had to sit on it and waddle off down the carpark but off it went like a good un, ......nah thanks gimme something modern like my old plunger  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.11. 2016 11:51 »
 GB,

That looks like a French Fries and Ketchup sandwich! Maybe on a Potatoe bread? *conf*

Butties? Sounds like a brand of diapers....

Help me out here GB, exactly what is that sandwich made out of? *smile*

Lee

Good Advice
No reactions
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 25.11. 2016 12:03 »
French fries are what you get a McDonald's, real men eat chips bigger, better and lie on the bread better
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 25.11. 2016 12:09 »
Ahhhh  ... Chip butties on doorstep bread , almost as thick as an American pulled pork ,3 cheese and 4 pickle sandwich and a nice cuppa !oh yes ....
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 25.11. 2016 12:18 »
Help me out here GB, exactly what is that sandwich made out of? *smile*

Just chips, (what you might call fries but chunky) in a buttered bread sandwich, (butty), sauce and indigestion tablets optional.  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 25.11. 2016 14:06 »
A fried potato sandwich????????? Sounds incredibly bland. Well, I must admit, I've never heard rave reviews of British cooking. Come to think of it, we have lots of ethnic restaurants in Boise, but I've never heard of a Brit restaurant. Guess the Italians, Mexicans, Thais, etc., have no need to fear.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #11 on: 25.11. 2016 15:14 »
jachenbach you have never lived  *smiley4* Tell him Greybeard about the Tripe n Onions, or Dripping and bread wth salt and pepper, Bread n Butter pudding, Cow Heel with vinegar, Pork Scratchings or Jellied Eels all washed down with Real Ale in copious quantities  ;)
Good Advice
No reactions
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.11. 2016 18:49 »
Attention Brits,

The Great Famine of 1315-17 is over. Please feel free to begin eating foods other than those contrived for basic survival during that period.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.11. 2016 19:33 »
A fried potato sandwich????????? Sounds incredibly bland.

Yes it would be if it were not for the substance the potato chips are fried in, for ultra best results beef dripping, sadly not as popular as it should be due to the fashion magazine preference for young models so thin you can see almost through them and the health police taking over the media
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 25.11. 2016 19:51 »
Oh yes. One of my favourites. Wife cooks sausages eggs and chips, eat sausages and eggs then dip the bread in the juices and wrap the chips in it. What's cholesterol *????*
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7