Author Topic: Fork Springs  (Read 420 times)

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
Fork Springs
« on: 24.11. 2016 16:15 »
Hi
The manual I have says to coat the fork springs with a liberal coating of grease when installing.
 How important is this?
Yes I have spent this morning putting the forks back in, mudguard on. BUT forgot to coat the springs in grease. New progressive springs as well.
By the way which way up do these go. SRM site says tighter wind to bottom? This is what I have done.

If it needs doing I will take the forks out again to get at the springs but interested to know what the consensus is?

Thanks

Peter

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Fork Springs
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2016 17:53 »
Could be the spring action is a tad quieter when greased not by much tho I'd guess

By the way which way up do these go. SRM site says tighter wind to bottom? This is what I have done.

For the life of me I can't work out how this would make any difference as the spring contracts when pressure is applied; at the weaker rate end first of course but by the same amount overall, so softer action to start with getting progressively stiffer as the spring shortens (which it will do anyway but perhaps more so)
Looks better if they are the put in with the tighter ends at the same end of course. now I'll stop here, (was going to go on to explain how the universe began  *conf*)

Having sort of trashed them I must admit to having them on both bikes, one front and back

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2016 18:04 »
Hi,
The purpose of the grease is to stop the springs making noise scraping against the metal shrouds and the fork legs
It does make a big difference
Even with rubber shrouds I grease the springs

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2016 18:18 »
I went so completely off track I removed my dumbass post.

Richard L.

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2016 22:22 »
Thanks
Maybe "suck it and see" for a little while then. If they prove to be noisy I'll go back in and grease them.
Give me chance to see what the fork action is like with the new bushes and oil seals. It wasn't a straightforward business getting the bottom bushes to run smoothly. I'm sure they weren't the same size as the ones that I took off. Could be wear though I suppose.

Peter