Author Topic: Oil pump  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
Re: Oil pump
« Reply #30 on: 09.06. 2009 10:40 »
With a higher flow pump oil pressure will be higher at low speeds, but once up to the pressure regulator setting excess oil is by passed. No increase in flow though the crank, so no worries over sludge trap being disturbed. Whether there could be more problem of the extra oil being breathed out I don't know. But the SRM pump does appear a lot more efficient at low speeds which may be a worthwhile improvement.
Last time I monitored pressure (with a good standard pump) it reached 60 psi at little more than a fast idle even with the oil warm (not really hot), so no problem there.
I now have the earlier type WDB40 filter fitted and it appears to do a fine job. Found it easy to wash through the element for re-use which fits well with BSA maintenance tradition. Not burning oil now with new rings fitted, and its staying clean. *smile*
Can't see why you would want to take rocker feed off before the filter Steve ????. Filter pressure drop will then increase oil flow to the rockers which could lead to oil burning problems. 50 grade oil may not be a good idea with an external filter. When cold pressure drop could be excessive, at minimum leading to captured debris being reinjected into the flow, worse outright rupture *sad2*. Not nice. (Have just read an article on Dynamic Filter Efficiency which talks about pressure effects on filter elements, and worried myself a bit.)
So to work  *work* or is it more  *computer*

Mike
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
« Reply #31 on: 09.06. 2009 12:37 »
Mike,

I know a regulator like that good at slow running  *smiley4*

The problem with the oil filter fitted before the Rocker feed is mainly when you replacing the filter. When you start the engine you have "X" period of time with the Rockers getting no oil while the fillter primes unless you can pre fill the oil filter somehow, a little tricky depending on the orintation.

So what is worse i wonder??

I dont think id be using such heavy oils, I use a spin off cartridge filter, im not familiar with the WDB40?

Most oils even monogrades use detergent now, and i normally use Something like 20/50 and change very often.

Sometimes reading that sort of thing takes some digesting *eek* Thats the sort of thing i read at bed time *smiley4*

Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 09.06. 2009 22:15 »
when i had the srm pump installed on my engine it had a complete rebuild by srm
so the sludge trap would be clean also had the needle roller and end feed conversion
done aswell new conrods resleeved back to standerd belt drive clutch  i spent a lot ove
money on my bike because im keeping it heres a few pics ove engine

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
« Reply #33 on: 10.06. 2009 08:41 »
That looks Lovely Rocket Man

One thing you can say they do do a excellent job!

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 10.06. 2009 18:21 »
thanks steve your right carnt fault them
dave