Author Topic: Headlight Dipper Switch?  (Read 821 times)

Offline AWJD

• A's Good Friend
Headlight Dipper Switch?
« on: 22.12. 2016 08:59 »
I'm presently restoring a 1961 A10 GF and am about to look at the wiring harness. I believe mine was fitted with a TRICON switch when I got it which incorporates the horn push, dipper switch and magneto cut-out button - I believe this is correct for this model of the A10?

However, looking at the parts book, there appears to be a device hanging off the wiring harness connected to the headlight shell which looks a bit like a handlebar mounted dipper switch although the image is not very clear. It's exactly the same in the 1958 parts book. The object is not marked as a separate part and I am curious to know what it is. Does anyone know?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Headlight Dipper Switch?
« Reply #1 on: 22.12. 2016 10:35 »
        I'm a good few metres off my parts book but at a guess could this be the connector for the headlamp, as some models came with Quickly  detachable  headlights
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline AWJD

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.12. 2016 13:57 »
A snippet from the parts book is shown and it looks as though the object is external to the headlight?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.12. 2016 16:39 »
that's better - yep I'd say your spot on it's a dip switch, but if yours is a 61 then that's is the same year as my original Flash (had only one previous owner and I bought it late sixty one /early 62) and it had the Tricon switch as you say, little tip with them - put a blob of silicon over the terminal screws so they don't vibrate out on a very dark night whilst doing 60ish, amazing how often you see the white line at one side of the bike then the other when only got a bit of moon for illumination
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline AWJD

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 22.12. 2016 17:13 »
Problem is that the rest of the picture from the parts books for both 1958 and 1961 shows a separate horn/dipper switch! Therefore, I think the dipper switch in the above picture must be a relic from an earlier parts book and shouldn't be there!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.12. 2016 20:20 »
yes, this happens here and there, back in the day with knowledgeable BSA dealers in all over the country you would walk in and ask the bloke with the dirty brown dust-coat  behind the counter  for the part you wanted for your bike and he'd wander off and come back with the right bit in his hand.
It's not like that these days with parts made in China and dealers amalgamating, so a bit of investigation is required, that's where this forum comes in so useful
All the best - Bill

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.12. 2016 08:09 »
I like to wire the dipper switch to a relay coil in the headlight shell.
The high and low beam are wired through a set of changeover contacts on the relay.
The relay contacts handle current better than a switch and if anything fails you still have lights.
Takes away a lot of the excitement but there you go.
cheers

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 23.12. 2016 11:20 »
We do the same
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline AWJD

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 24.12. 2016 14:45 »
yes, this happens here and there, back in the day with knowledgeable BSA dealers in all over the country you would walk in and ask the bloke with the dirty brown dust-coat  behind the counter  for the part you wanted for your bike and he'd wander off and come back with the right bit in his hand.
You obviously haven't been to Vale Onslows in Birmingham recently! Well recommended as the Parts Department hasn't changed much in 50 years and I think Mark behind the counter still wears a dirty brown (might be blue) dust coat!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.12. 2016 16:09 »
You obviously haven't been to Vale Onslows in Birmingham

ha - no it's a bit far to travel from Northumberland, however if dust-coat man still exists then Brum would be the likely place
All the best - Bill