Author Topic: replace gearbox.  (Read 777 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
replace gearbox.
« on: 12.12. 2016 12:37 »
I haven't been out on the Flash since completing the DGR back in September ,partly due to theb crappy weather but also because of a nagging worry about the gearchange lever return spring that broke on the run ,when it went the gear lever wouldn't move after 10 mins of jiggling the lever it freed and I got her  home safe and sound after completing the run ,fingers very tightly crossed .
Anyway following a discussion with a fellow member ,whose judgement I trust ( except about the English cricket team ) I did away with any residual stupid ideas I may have had about a quick fix and a ride out before Christmas as when I eventually took the outer g/box cover off I couldn't find the bit of spring that had broken off .
I've finally bitten the bullet and the A10 is now securely on the workbence  up to a very comfortable height and I'm going to fit new internals to this case . I'd had the present case's layshaft "done " by SRM about 3 yrs ago but due to an error the new mainshaft wouldn't fit and so desperate to get on the road I cobbled a box together ,it turned out not half bad hence being left for 3 yrs ,3rd was bit noisey  but otherwise ok.
So that's the plan Box out renew final drive bearing and seal  and refit with brand new mainshaft , final drive sleeve as been reamed to the mainshaft and  hoping the layshaft is still ok I m hoping I'll have a box that will see me out .
One of the great things about messing with bikes is that its a great excuse to get my oldest grandson involved , he pushed out the bikes held 'em stable for me whilst I got the mainstand down, altogether a good 2 hours , he ended up sitting on the VFR , seemed about his heavy , Sue saw him and told me after it was just like seeing me on my bike when I was his age .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: replace gearbox.
« Reply #1 on: 12.12. 2016 22:00 »
But did you find the piece of spring! If not then  *problem*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #2 on: 12.12. 2016 23:06 »
After a 3/0 white wash of the Kiwis in the one day series,    *doh*
& the upcoming Packies tour we'll be ready...  *shh*
The 2017 / 2018 Ashes series with a day night test in Adelaide & a PINK ball,
 will sort out you lot..  *fight* *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 13.12. 2016 01:54 »
hi guys, Wozza (will sort out you lot) what like you did last time, don't speak too soon just enjoy it for what it is, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13.12. 2016 08:13 »
59 Super Rocket 

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 13.12. 2016 10:54 »
KiwiGF , so far no ...... but not worried needed the kick up the idiot to sort the box out ,new parts sitting on the bench for over 3 yrs  *sad* *cry* got a few days clear over the Christmas break so hoping to break the back of this job then.
Tomcat , thanks for that link I'm ordering one now, cheers.
Wozz, pink will go nicely with the frilly shirts our team will be wearing  *whistle* *whistle*
United Kingdom

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 14.12. 2016 21:07 »
Fitted one a couple of months ago Tomcat and is as ever a nice piece of kit. Not seen any gearbox oil leaks so I recon its done its job *wink2* *wink2*

ELLIS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 16.01. 2017 16:37 »
Well finally back to this gearbox, out of frame, all came apart fine, cleaned the outside of the box and next day split the box , the layshaft is still ok no wear from when back from SRM 3 yrs ago ,so out with the old and in with the new stuff which as only been sitting there for 3 plus yrs  *sad*  and finally still no sign of the piece of bloody spring !!  *pull hair out* pictures to follow hope to be done next weekend but who knows with this lovely weather  *angry* and an impending birthday .
United Kingdom